All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-13-2015, 07:29 PM

Default Newbe with an aviation interest.

Greeting from South Central Michigan.

I am 50 years old, and have a life long interest in Aviation. I am considering building an airplane from plans that uses aluminum forming techniques to build the wing. As I have studied metal forming techniques, I stumpled upon this forum and thought it might be helpful to join up. I sense that a lot of builders are not aware of the best practices available for a home shop and sense maybe I could learn some proven techniques here.

Brooks
Old 01-13-2015, 08:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Hi Brooks. Welcome to a great forum. What airplane are you planning to build?
Old 01-15-2015, 04:38 PM

If I commit to building, and if I made a choice today I would build a two place, tandem seat, small tail dragger called a Bearhawk LSA. It compares favorably with a Piper J-3 Cub. The Bearhawk has an All Metal wing, tube and fabric fuselage, with a 65-100 hp engine. I would guess it would do about 100 mph on 4 gallons of fuel per hour with the 65 hp engine.

These can be built via a kit or from plans. If you guys can expose a few trade secrets and inspire some confidence, I'll build it from plans. It's a lot of forming small parts from homemade MDF molds. Some use hammers, others use presses with rubber. I believe an industry best practice exists that streamlines and expedites the forming process. If we can make these more widely known a higher completion rate will result. I just don't know what that process is.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:54 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

Hi Brooks, check out Dagger tools in Wixom MI for metalshaping classes and tools.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2019

Hi Brooks,

I've not worked on flying aircraft but I've made or mended parts for static aircraft so I have a fair knowledge of structures, materials, rivets, etc if I can help at all.

Will

William Pointer
Old 01-15-2015, 10:08 PM

I have experience, which design?

Marc Bourget
Thorp T-18 N18JT
Old 01-16-2015, 01:21 AM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcone1381 View Post
If I commit to building, and if I made a choice today I would build a two place, tandem seat, small tail dragger called a Bearhawk LSA. It compares favorably with a Piper J-3 Cub. The Bearhawk has an All Metal wing, tube and fabric fuselage, with a 65-100 hp engine. I would guess it would do about 100 mph on 4 gallons of fuel per hour with the 65 hp engine.

These can be built via a kit or from plans. If you guys can expose a few trade secrets and inspire some confidence, I'll build it from plans. It's a lot of forming small parts from homemade MDF molds. Some use hammers, others use presses with rubber. I believe an industry best practice exists that streamlines and expedites the forming process. If we can make these more widely known a higher completion rate will result. I just don't know what that process is.
The EAA sells a variety of books that are very helpful, especially worth while are those by the late, and great, Tony Bingelis.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:31 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:

I've assisted a number of Bearhawkers with their builds - on welding 4130 airframes and making some aluminum parts. But there are probably a lot more experienced guys around.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:21 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
... If you guys can expose a few trade secrets and inspire some confidence, I'll build it from plans...
There are very, very few 'trade secrets' here. Most anyone will at least attempt to answer any question asked. Most of them have been asked before and answered several times. The search button is your friend. If you can't find what you're looking for, ask away.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:40 AM

Kerry's point being said, I'm an EAA Tech Counselor. I've served in both the AirVenture 1/2 day and full weekend work shops. EAA offerings, more or less to date, teach you various processes, but they don't teach you how to "build". That is, an approach to the job as a whole and possible approaches to each particular facet (one of the great features of this forum provided by the numerous, accomplished, experts!).

Nothing wrong with the EAA's approach to "processes" but I'm all about the "value added aspect" maximizing productivity and avoiding unnecessary expense.

Case in point, the weekend seminars culminate in a sample wing panel/aileron project. I volunteered to be a Tech Counselor. Out of 23 students, the fastest was right at 2 hrs, the slowest 2:38. After the class was over the two tech counselors (not the instructor) and 8 students were performing a "post-mortem" I blew them away showing how an "experienced" approach enabled me to complete the same task in about 20 min.

FWIW