All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Miscellanous products related to metalshaping
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-03-2012, 09:38 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2015

Default automatic riveting hammer (1940īs)

Ok, I like tools, and I am a little bit toolholic, to make it short.I run into this.It is a automatic riveting hammer, german made, Pedegess Sieperīs Sohne.

By googling I found out, that germans developed two riveting machines, on 1940īs .This one and one made by Focke-Wulff.Machines were probably used in war, anyways, the mechanism is quite clever..

By pressing the pedal you lower the round plate (and the whole head assembly, similar to CP hammer,maybe) there is a eccentric cam shaft, that lifts the round plate ,when contact is made, and activates the spring, and when the cam goes over, it strikes, with the spring force.The maximum stroke is 8mm, minimum is very little.

I was thinking this hits a very little, sort of tap tap..but when the guy started it up, and I saw the head moving, It was clear this has pretty much power.It makes some awful noise...the hitting end is threaded so makin tooling,probably aint problem.Dontīknow if I am going to do any riveting..well see...it would be cool to try...original purpose of this machine was hammering copper rivets, according the seller....

03072012151.jpg

03072012150.jpg

03072012154.jpg

--------- JJ ----------

Last edited by Janne; 07-03-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:58 AM

I had this crazy idea, that I wanted to try...to planish with this machine...Cause the machine has a similar system that CP hammer has, when it comes to adjusting power, the more you press the pedal, the more this thing hits.The hit has a springed punch, so you canīt wreck it...

I made a quick tool holderīs , and took a crap piece...and used my helve dies..to try this...video sucks, cause it was hard to planish with one hand, and record with mobile, in another hand...material is 18g.The noise is terrible, i mean really loud.You can see the mechanism on the end of the video

I have handheld planisher,and a home made planisher from muffler chisel...bit this one is electric powered...but I am just playing with the idea...i can get the rotating movement away from the die, but I must shorten the flat belt, that runs the machine..to make it...or I just have to try riveting with it...cause thatīs why it was invented

hereīs the link to short video....http://youtu.be/zlnwqLKb3gE

--------- JJ ----------
Old 10-08-2012, 08:57 AM

Default Pretty Neat

I watched the video.That is a pretty cool tool. I also am a Toolaholic.
Some tools are like works of art especially if they work.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:03 PM

Gerry, I agree , some machines just seem cool...this machine has a patent by pedegess, but no clue, what part of the mechanism it is...but I think I donīt see another coming across soon..., time will tell, will i rivet with it or invent some other purpose....

--------- JJ ----------
Old 10-08-2012, 04:37 PM

Lovely looking little machine but I don't think I could live with the noise.