All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Posting Pictures
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-13-2011, 04:38 PM

Default Jessie James shop closed

While getting some metal in Long Beach yesterday I went past West Coast Choppers and wow! The display room where they sold T shirts and bikes was empty except for 3 regular street bikes. His semi trailer was in the back of the lot across the street but all the shops were closed up and an big for lease signs on each building. Jessie is enough of a craftsman I think he will be back, may already be but no signs to say where at. Most likley between the loss of the TV show and tough times selling $100,000+ bikes he just got hammered. Not to mention some legal fees. Good Luck Jessie. Fred 26T
Oh, the berger place he started down the street was packed with people eating lunch. But, it is the only nice place in that part of Long Beach.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:25 PM

Austin, Texas

Kevin H
Old 01-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Member MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2013

If you run any kind of business that involves fabrication or manufacture you almost have to get out of California. The costs of dealing with the rules and regulations make it extremely difficult to stay alive. I still maintain a sculpture studio there for summertime use, but I have zero public exposure—they don't know I exist.

Richard

When I die heaven can wait, I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

My sculpture web page http://www.fantaciworks.com
Old 01-14-2011, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-S View Post
If you run any kind of business that involves fabrication or manufacture you almost have to get out of California. The costs of dealing with the rules and regulations make it extremely difficult to stay alive. I still maintain a sculpture studio there for summertime use, but I have zero public exposure—they don't know I exist.

Richard
The radar is what you fly under around here

If times were better I think I'd move....
Old 01-14-2011, 09:03 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2010

I think that the scag-mags said that he's moving to Texas..... At least he won't get nailed for emissions again
Old 01-14-2011, 09:19 AM

It's getting almost impossible to "fly under the radar". As of Jan. 11th 2011 all the shops "Applying Coatings" in my 5 state area (and eventually nation wide) needed to be EPA compliant and register with the government. Painter training, higher efficiency filters, enclosed paint booths (window fans, not an option anymore), gun cleaners, etc.

A "hobbyist" is still allowed to paint at home without following these new rules BUT the definition of "hobbyist" is going to be hard to define. They say you can paint 3 cars a year. Hell, I am a "pro" shop and some years I only get 3 cars done!

I know they are trying to get the back yard body shops out of residential areas and that is fine. It just sucks that I have to go through additional training and now be inspected by the DNR whenever they feel the need.

Yep, I said Dept. of Natural Resources... same guys you show your deer tag to. I don't know how to feel about that. Most officers are "by the book" and have no common sense. So either they are going to walk around clueless and not know what I may be doing wrong or they are going to get out the 360 page guide book and waste my day checking every little thing written in black on white.

Good thing about having the DNR in charge??? Well, I believe there are too many government agency's already so if we can have an existing agency do 2 jobs... I'm all for it.

Where was I??? Oh ya, Jesse just needs a change of environment. His Hollywood lifestyle just keeps getting him in trouble. I hope he locks himself in his Austin TX shop and gets back to building the next big thing in bikes!

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

Old 04-23-2011, 03:44 AM

Hey All,
I'm a new guy here (hot metal worker), but Jesse was starting to forge iron. He's got a Nazel 4B (BIG air hammer) and some other stuff, and had some stuff posted on iforgeiron.com and was using frankyluckyman (sp?) as his posting ID. Apparently he was going to study with Uri Hofi in Israel. Uri is a talented smith-different methods that I don't use-but talented. Some people (like myself) start moving hot metal and get hooked. It's like being a little kid again-play with fire-hit stuff with hammers.
Mark Emig
Old 04-23-2011, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Who knows maybe you should just leave them alone, they might just put the hollow in for you

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.