All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-30-2018, 05:36 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Good practice and more satisfaction too!
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:54 AM

you should watch Tom Lipton (Ox Tools) on youtube He has hundreds of machining videos which demonstrate first rate machining techniques.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:16 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean in CT View Post
you should watch Tom Lipton (Ox Tools) on youtube He has hundreds of machining videos which demonstrate first rate machining techniques.
Sean: thanks for the tip. My machining knowledge has a long way to go
Old 08-02-2018, 05:17 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Good practice and more satisfaction too!
Marcus: that's right, I always feel better when I can make a part instead of buying it.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:35 PM

Post Door window glass

An open question is whether the C4 Corvette side window glass will work in this Miura. It’s the most obvious choice since I know it matches up to the windshield post. What still needed to be figured out is if the side window glass is too long/wide. One thing I know with the side windows is that they are made from tempered glass. So they will either work or not as tempered glass cannot be cut.

The Corvette doors are longer than the Miura’s and thus the side glass is as well. But my Miura has a longer wheel base than the original so it really comes down to if the longer doors and side glass support the Miura look or not. The best way I know to answer that is to do a visual mockup. So I further secured the door posts/cowl with some ratchet tie downs, put the Corvette targa top in place and mounted the doors. I did lighten the doors by removing door skins, electric locks, electric mirrors, etc. before mounting. The electric window lifts still work fine on both doors once I untangled the wiring mess to figure out how to get power to them.

Adding the doors helped give a visual but I needed more. So I added some cardboard to simulate the back portion of the door, the triangle of bodywork that’s between the door and rear clip, a strip at the door front, and a ruler to mark the bottom. Marking the door bottom told me the Corvette window lifts will need to be cut and bottoms raised about 2 inches if the side rocker height is to be maintained same as Miura. When fully retracted, the Corvette side windows go all the way to the door bottom so shortening the lifts means the windows won’t be able to retract all the way inside the door.

With the cardboard extending the door up to the top of side window, the Miura look really started to emerge. But to be sure, I thought it worthwhile to do some quick and dirty Photoshop editing to add more of the Miura bodywork. I started by adding the cabin bodywork.

And then added on the front and rear clips.

Now there’s the visual I wanted and needed. This tells me the Corvette side glass should work out fine. It also tells me the windshield placement from a fore and aft perspective is also good. Another thing I knew, but this validates it, the wheels need to be larger in diameter than are currently on the car. The tires need to be about 1.5 inches taller/larger or they just look too small.

My first impression was that the roof should be lowered some and thus the windshield also lowered. The roof height as the car sits right now is 46.5 inches from the ground. There’s about 2 inches clearance between the top of my head and the inside of the targa top right now. I’m not too worried about that as I can easily pickup another couple of inches with thinner/lower seats. It’s the door glass and electric lifter height that’s more worrying to me.

I think I’ll do some more Photoshopping to see the visual effect of shortening the rocker panel that runs between the front and back tires. That rocker panel has more visual effect on the Miura than most cars because of the tradition of painting it in silver. If I can shorten the rocker height with no ill visual effects, then I can lower the roof, windshield and doors together. Otherwise, the roof height might just be exactly where it needs to be and I’ll have to look into other ways to make the top look shorter even though it isn’t.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:40 AM

Default First Impressions

Quote:
............My first impression for me was that the roof should be lowered some and thus the windshield also lowered. The roof height as the car sits right now is 46.5" inches from the ground. There’s about 2 inches clearance between the top of my head and the inside of the targa top right now. I’m not too worried about that as I can easily pickup another couple of inches with thinner/lower seats. It’s the door glass and electric lifter height that’s more worrying to me.
First impression for me was the roof needs to drop and the tail and nose need to be stretched. Also think the door height needs to be reduced. I think 46.5 is pretty tall. The combination makes the rear window angle appear much steeper. Given what you had to do to wheel base and interior dimensions for fit and comfort, the whole car probably needs to be considerably larger than a Miura to maintain proportions. Also wonder if the track width is wider than original, and if so, those changes may help appearances from angles other than the profile. Don't mean to be that guy, but just comparing to the concept pictures. You've come a long way in a short time. Really anxious to see it grow some skin.

Name:  Muira.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  36.3 KB

Best,
Kelly

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 08-03-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:24 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoffield View Post
First impression for me was the roof needs to drop and the tail and nose need to be stretched. Also think the door height needs to be reduced. I think 46.5 is pretty tall. The combination makes the rear window angle appear much steeper. Given what you had to do to wheel base and interior dimensions for fit and comfort, the whole car probably needs to be considerably larger than a Miura to maintain proportions. Also wonder if the track width is wider than original, and if so, those changes may help appearances from angles other than the profile. Don't mean to be that guy, but just comparing to the concept pictures. You've come a long way in a short time. Really anxious to see it grow some skin.

Attachment 48240

Best,
Kelly
Kelly: I appreciate the feedback. The reason I've posted so many "visual design" pics is to get feedback prior to committing the work to metal.

You're exactly right, the roof needs to come down. My first Photoshop attempt was really quick and dirty. So I decided to repeat it again this time starting with a different and unaltered Miura picture. I was also more careful during the edit process to only scale and warp bits where absolutely needed.

Here's my second try.

With the roof at this height, the sleek, low slung Miura look is lost. So the roof and windshield must come down. I'll start with 1.5 inches since I can do that by removing spacers and not cutting the door post metal yet. We'll see what that does and if it captures the low slung look. If not, rinse and repeat.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:03 PM

What I see is that the B pillar on your sketchup is too tall. On the "real" Miura, the roofline has already begun to descend by that point. On yours, that's the high point.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:43 AM

I think that is much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraclejacket View Post
What I see is that the B pillar on your sketchup is too tall. On the "real" Miura, the roofline has already begun to descend by that point. On yours, that's the high point.
Yes, that's still there and what is driving the difference in the profile but I believe it starts at the windshield and because the roof line is more horizontal the b pillar is taller. Don't know if that is a bit of a Photoshop anomaly, because of the increase in cockpit height and stretch, and/or the use of the vette side windows. I'm sure the allure of using the vette doors and side windows is strong, but if they cant be altered, Joel will need to decide if that is a fair compromise. The lines of the Miura are stunning and I'm certain not easy to duplicate with utility. Solving the short fire wall to rear axle centerline was a big one. It's coming along nicely though.

Best,
Kelly
Old 08-04-2018, 06:40 PM

Post Top chop - well a virtual chop anyway

The previous feedback was that the roof line was sitting too high and this resulted in a bloated look. So I lowered the windshield/cowl/door unit such that the top of the windshield frame is now 43 inches from the ground, so a 1.5 inch chop. I’m guessing this will give a roof height of about 44 inches. The car bottom is set at 5.5 inches from ground, so where I want it to be.

I repeated the routine of pushing the car out of the garage, taking photographs, and adding on the bodywork with Photoshop. The top car is an unaltered Miura SV, the middle is the stretched rendition Superleggera/Mark did, and the bottom is my chassis with bodywork copied from top car (and tweaked to fit).

I think the top chop has made a world of difference in the look. It gives me confidence that the Corvette windshield and side glass will work out. I think there’s still room for more body shape refinement but I’m happy with the vertical windshield placement now. I’m also going to start experimenting with shortening the electric side window lifts. It looks like I need to take about 4 inches out of the 20 inch tall lifts while retaining the current fore/aft closed window placement. I think it’s doable but will take so work to figure out how.