All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Buck Building
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-24-2015, 02:02 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec 2015

Default 356 nose section buck

Hi All,
Been a while since I posted some projects here.... Bit busy.
Wanted to share the latest project finished for a fellow metalshaper at the other end of the world. A nose section for a 356A.

Just a couple of cool render shots for now. Hopefully the real thing in wood in the upcoming weeks.

Side.jpg

render1.jpg

Render2.jpg
Cheers
Jeffry

www.facebook.com/HighOctaneSpeedShop
www.highoctane.nl
Old 01-24-2015, 08:53 AM

Very well thought out buck design. Great CAD work. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:17 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Jeffry that is a nice job on the buck
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 01-24-2015, 06:34 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

jeffry you beat me to it!

absolutely amazing! only hope i can shape the metal around it good enough to do it justice...

i can honestly say without question that the pictures i sent jeffry were pretty much useless. all thanks to him taking time in his busy schedule to create this artwork is greatly appreciated.

now where's that hammer....
Old 01-25-2015, 01:45 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec 2015

Im sure it will be awesome the 356! Looking forward to the result neil.

On the other forum i wrote a 101 into making bucks in solidworks. Ill share it here aswell. For those who want to give it a go in solidworks.

i retrieve blueprints if available with enoigh detail in it toe find shapes. Some blueprints are better then others to use because usually its difficult to find the right curves in panels on blueprints. Some blueprints already have sections in them perpendicular to the body. That really helps putting down the first splines for the surface.

I then put all views in the correct orientation and perfectly on eachother on the right sizes. This is the base to work from so pretty critical. So front plane uses the front view, right plane right view etc etc. So all views are ghen in place and bodylines intersect where they supposed to intersect.

Then i start putting down the first splines or projected curves for surface moddeling. This is used to build up surfaces in all sorts or manors. Boundry, lofted surfaces etc. I recommend watching tutorials on youtube how to surface car bodies in solidworks. I use the same technique. Surfacing is really different to any other feature in solidworks. Its getting used to it and a lot of tricks to get the desired result.

After the full surface i then create an assembly and start building up the wooden segments. I start of planning the amount of stations first and calculating how many offset i need with all the paramaters like Material thickness, clearance in the slots etc. I use the reference from the surface to create the wood stations. I draw the stations first, all of them, then I determine the best way to assemble it and keep it rigid. Some stations are load bearing some are resting. I try do have it sit flat on the floor to limit twisting when in use. After i remoddeled some stations to bearing or resting i create the dogbones in them.
And the very end i make holes in it that your hand will fit in. I also make the paralel to the surface so clamps dont slip off. When adding holes i think of the panels that need clamping or checking buck clearance there i add more holes or on places where visibility is very low.
Thats 101 buck building.

www.facebook.com/HighOctaneSpeedShop
www.highoctane.nl
Old 01-25-2015, 04:52 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Handy skill to have to be able to do that.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:39 AM

just to update this!

i have sent the files jeffry did for me to the cnc cutter guy who was recommended to me. the wood is getting delivered to his shop this coming Thursday, so it should be cut and with me this coming weekend

another thank you to jeffry for all the effort and going the extra miles to get this done! i can recommend his services
Old 02-21-2015, 07:51 AM

Hi Jeffer,

Nice Cad skills, I'm learning Rhino at the moment, I'm sure it has similar tools to Solid works.
When sectioining the mesh what conderations do you allow for thickness of timber being used, do you use the centre line as the contact point or an edge. Also most 2d side views don't have bonnet profiles as the wing/fender obscures this detail, what references do use to produce these profiles accurately?

No matter how clever you think you are, stupidity is always one step ahead!!!!
Old 02-21-2015, 04:55 PM

I made a buck just like this for an aeronca champ nose bowl. There should be a thread under bucks I think. It looked great but I found it difficult to work with because I could not easily see in the back. There were just too many stations and the sections were too deep to see how well the parts were fitting. I think a wire type buck or one with metal sections no more than an inch deep works much better. I will be curious to see if you come to the same conclusion.

Sorry to sound negative, because I know very well that this takes a lot of work to make.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
I will be curious to see if you come to the same conclusion.

Sorry to sound negative, because I know very well that this takes a lot of work to make.
hi scott, its not being negative you just found something else that worked better for you! i have no idea how easy or hard this buck will be to use as its the first one but I'm sure i'll find out how easy it is for me lol