All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-18-2020, 11:36 AM

Incredible work !
Old 10-18-2020, 07:37 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2016, Sept 2019

Finally. All painted panels are rubbed, polished, and installed.
I don't mean to diminish the skills required to finish off the paintwork and hang and align the body panels, but compared to the planning, engineering and construction done over the last few years, this is like chimp work. It's nice to give my brain a break for a while.

When I was hanging and aligning the panels and trim, everything virtually jumped on the car and fell into alignment. As I was working on each panel I was thinking of how much alteration was done on each one and almost amazed that they fit back on the car at all. Some of these panels, such as the deck lid, were made years ago. The rear half of the car is all hand made, as you know, but what you may not know is that I knowingly built a design flaw into the deck and deck lid. You should try to avoid designing an aperture that is locked in on all sides. Especially if a taper is involved. In doing so, you are severely limited in adjustment for gaps. Up front, with the hood and fenders, I can set the hood in place and align the fenders individually to gap them and adjust fore and aft. Plenty of room for error.

In back, it's a different story. The rear deck, quarters, and rear body panel are all one piece and not adjustable at all. The deck lid was made to fit a couple years ago in bare metal with estimated change for finish work, primer, paint, etc.. I must have guessed right because it all went together well. As I sometimes do, when I was designing this rear deck area I chose form over function but I knew the risk. I knew that if I was wrong, it could be a BIG problem to correct late in the game. If I were installing the finished, painted deck lid and needed more gap along the forward edge, I would have to slide the deck lid back but in doing so, I am closing the gap along the sides because the deck lid is tapered. Eventually I would not be able to open the gap in front because moving the deck lid back would interfere with the quarters along the sides. BIG problem

I mention this for the newer guys as a warning to plan ahead. Way far ahead! I made a choice based on my past experience and was pretty sure I could pull it off. I wanted a very clean uncluttered look and was willing to "break the rules" to get it. When you're radically changing panels think carefully about everything that might be effected.
As I was doing this final panel assembly I was constantly aware of all the changes I made along the way over the past few years and thinking "I hope I considered this or that when I made this stuff".

Name:  1885.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  41.1 KB

Name:  1886.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  41.4 KB

Name:  1887.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  29.3 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 10-18-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:04 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020

The results are a credit to you Jack.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:18 AM

I am going to admit when I first saw this thread I was skeptical but curious. You converted me into a believer. Awesome job well done.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:40 AM

Jack u are so right that is were a lot of us fail. the need to anticipate problems along the way such as paint thic./panel alig./weather strip interference/drainage and a host of other things is so important.I would have to say your background and yrs, of experience serves you well.thank u so much for documenting and sharing this with us.This is one cool ass custom caddy.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:59 PM

Hello Jack,

Very impressive build. I have enjoyed following along.

Keith
Old 10-20-2020, 10:39 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019

Nice and straight. Well done Jack.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154