All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-25-2015, 10:06 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

I did some final finishing of the stations this week. It was getting difficult for me to bring all these angles and curves in to where I needed them. There is a belt height body line that actually starts at the front of the hood, sweeps around the doors and continues through the quarters and across the deck lid area. I was having trouble trimming the stations in this area because there are multiple compound curves converging, then fading away or changing through their lengths. Also, the belt line starts out nearly vertical at the front of the quarter panel, then gradually changes to nearly flat horizontal at the rear of the deck lid.

What I ended up doing was cutting the body line area out of the pine stations and precutting accurate radiused patches from 1/4" pressboard then adjusted them side to side, and up and down until I got a smooth flowing line that brought all these curves and angles together cleanly. It took a while but I'm very pleased with the results.

It's relatively easy to transfer dimensions and contours from an existing part to a buck, but to create a buck from just a vision in your mind is a whole different animal. What you think you want might not work, or might not look as good in reality as it did in your mind's eye. In this case, so far, I think I'm on track.

I read a post somewhere here by a newbee that stated, basically, that after making a few rust repair panels, he feels he's ready to create a car from scratch. Godspeed, my friend. I don't mean any disrespect. I'm not one to try to crush one's dreams. I'm just saying it will be a monumental task. I'm 61 now and have been doing collision repair and custom work for nearly 40 years. This project will take me about two years to complete and I'm only "creating" about 50% of the body.

Anyway, I'm making progress slowly. I'm limited to what I can physically do and I seem to run out of steam after a few hours. I'm nowhere near fully recovered but each day gets a little better.

Name:  152.jpg
Views: 2553
Size:  71.1 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 01-05-2016 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:10 PM

I clamped a strip of 22ga along the body line and I can see that I've got a very smooth, clean transition from the front of the quarter all the way back to the very rear of the deck. It was well worth taking the extra time to get the buck right.

Name:  153.jpg
Views: 2137
Size:  72.3 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 11-25-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:43 AM

[QUOTE=Jack 1957;119478] I was having trouble trimming the stations in this area because there are multiple compound curves converging, then fading away or changing through their lengths. Also, the belt line starts out nearly vertical at the front of the quarter panel, then gradually changes to nearly flat horizontal at the rear of the deck lid.

I guess this was an advantage gained in the auto factories with the full-sized clay models. But the "pencil pushers" needed the visual aid. Gentlemen with your skill and experience can do with much less due to your "visualization" abilities.

Wish you speed in the recovery of your energy. Us youngsters take it for granted. I've experienced an epiphany the last couple of days recovering from a near brush with the flu. Feel fine, put in two hours of medium level work and fall asleep for an hour. Batteries need a full recharge!

mjb
Old 11-26-2015, 01:59 PM

Jack, I like your method of smoothing and aligning that curve using the steel rule to establish the curve/arc and then fixing the hardboard pieces to the buck.

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 11-26-2015, 02:30 PM

Nice work Jack
really interesting project to follow .
Keep up the good work and Happy Turkey day

www.mgcustomairframe.com
www.facebook.com/mgcustomairframe/
Old 11-27-2015, 10:06 PM

I started doing the work on the front of the quarters at the door jambs. If you look at the Photoshop picture on page 1 you can see that the A Pillar has a slight rake forward. That means the side window run channel is at an angle and as the windows roll down they will move toward the rear of the car. The original door edge was straight vertical and the original rear run channel was at the very back of the door. the rear edge of the door needs to curve forward so the rear run channel can be installed at an angle matching the front one.

I started making the outer sheet metal extensions and tacked them in so I could get a look at them before I commit to changing the whole inner jamb and door frame. It looks like I have enough room to get the right angle on the run channels so I'm going to go ahead and finish the jamb next.

I had to get this done because I won't be making a wooden station for this area in front. I will be making an inner reinforcement panel that will box in this whole forward area of the rear deck. The lift off Carson top will mount to this area and it also has to add rigidity to the front of the quarters since the strength that the B pillars added won't be there anymore. For now, the inner reinforcement panel will serve as the front station for the outer panel.

Name:  154.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  72.3 KB

Name:  155.jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  68.5 KB

Name:  156.jpg
Views: 1817
Size:  55.8 KB

Old 11-28-2015, 10:40 PM

I started making the front inner structure but ran short on energy. There is a lot of boxing needed in this area. There'll be the front mounts for the lift off roof somewhere in each corner but I won't know exactly where until I'm a little further along. I'll get back on it tomorrow.

Name:  157.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  74.8 KB

Name:  158.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  76.7 KB

Name:  159.jpg
Views: 1795
Size:  73.2 KB

Old 11-29-2015, 01:51 PM

Pretty close. Nap time is callin' my name.

Name:  160.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  71.4 KB

Name:  161.jpg
Views: 1738
Size:  74.0 KB

Old 11-29-2015, 03:01 PM

Coming along nicely Jack! Especially for not feeling well, I hope you get back to 100% real soon!
Old 11-29-2015, 08:39 PM

This build has me hooked. keep up the good work and hope you start feeling better