All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-06-2011, 11:55 AM

Default Brake ID

Many of the older Dries and Krump, Chicago brakes, have a round riveted on tag on the end of the upper leaf. If you carefully remove the paint and get the numbers, you can contact Chicago and they will tell you when it was built and the capacities.

The fingers on my brake wouldn't be hard to build, as they are made from 1" flat stock. From the instruction sheet's I've gathered over the years, you can pretty much determine the capacity of the machine from the thickness of the fingers.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:49 PM

The rake that Marty and I have is a 6 foot Dies and krump Chicago brake and when I got it it did not have all of the fingers.I have made several of the fingers that we use and it is easy to do. You could make the fingers in picture work on a chicago brake. Dutch
(315)866-3034
comstockmetalshaping.com
Old 11-08-2011, 12:58 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Here are Roper Whitney or Whitney Jensen fingers (both the same thing).
On the upper finger in the photo you can see how they clamp onto the leading edge of the upper beam. When the fingers are removed you have an upper beam that can be used as a straight brake, hence the name “combination brake”. As anyone can see they are completely different from Chicago fingers and there is no interchange between the 2 brakes. ~ John Buchtenkirch
fin2.JPG
Old 11-08-2011, 02:52 PM

Default Fingers

John,

Thanks for posting those pictures. I believe the fingers at the scrap yard are same as the one you have there, except someone tried to modify them to make them fit the Chicago brake by removing the rear slot... Likely they are destined to be melted down.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:23 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
John,

Thanks for posting those pictures. I believe the fingers at the scrap yard are same as the one you have there, except someone tried to modify them to make them fit the Chicago brake by removing the rear slot... Likely they are destined to be melted down.
The way you can tell is the Whitney fingers are castings or forgings, as far as I know the Chicago fingers are all fabricated steel. The fingers in my photo are 8”, I do believe the ones in your photo are the earlier 6” judging by how quickly they curve down to the nose edge. Too bad someone torched off that rear hooking edge , now they are just scrap as you had mentioned. ~ John Buchtenkirch