All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Heads Up Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-01-2016, 02:16 AM

Many thanks for going through all that trouble. It is a great way to pay hommage to Tim and a great service for the metal shaping community. Since I was too late to order the original run, you can't grasp how happy I am to get a second chance. All 5 books ordered.

Again, a big thumbs up!
Old 11-01-2016, 08:04 AM

Cannot thank you guys enough for the legwork and persistence in making these books available again, I'd been wanting to purchase them for years.

Placed an order last night for all five.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:26 AM

Default Tim's books

As a newbee Tim Barton was mention several different places along with his books. Through all of my internet connections I came up with "out of print" only. Today I have 1-4 on the way but was not able to find #5, would someone give me a hand on this? This feels like buying my first, first edition. Thanks for bringing all back.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:40 AM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Read my post at the top of this thread. In the last section it tells you how to order through Lane Nittler. I wouldn't delay.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2017

I would like to thank everyone involved for their continued dedication to metalworking. Craftsmanship in our country is being lost and though I am a beginner, I feel responsible as you do for preserving it!

I sent an email for books 1-5 and can't thank you enough for letting us know about these books!

I have also asked Kent White to write a book on his restoration history (he has done over 350 restorations of cars and planes) because of the historical contributions that Kent and many of you have contributed to our community. I would also ask those of you with established pedigrees to also write books on your works including your tips and techniques. This preserves your skills and offers them to the next generation, allowing people like me, who start later in life to acquire your knowledge.

Again, thank you very much, as I feel privileged to work from my little garage, with access to so many accomplished people on this great forum!
Dave
Old 11-01-2016, 02:19 PM

How excellent that all the work Tim put in will live on. Great effort for all involved to keep it alive.

While Tim was researching for the series and well before book one was published, I sent Tim two document boxes full of manuals and metal shaping literature. This material, most original documentation, is long out of print and quite rare ( well to me it is anyway ). I did not know Tim very well but over the years we talked quite a bit on the phone. When he asked borrow the literature for reference material for the books I had no problem sending it to him. The information needed to be shared with new and old metalworking enthusiasts and his series of books would be a great way to get the data out there.

He had the material for 6 months and without prompting he return everything as sent, including a great binder of aircraft airframe service info. He had an extra and thought I would go great with what he was returning. As noted earlier in this post, he lived and breathed getting the series of books published. It was done out of passion and not for a dollar. That was also noted early as referenced to his meek lifestyle.

It is too bad that some people lost some money on their order not getting completed, myself included. I was pretty disappointed by some reactions based on how little money people were actually out. If Tim charged $20 dollars more for each book most would have paid it. Still great value for the content !! For those that went into a full wobbly over this, ask yourself if you would freely spend 2-3 hours helping out a friend ? Well no mater how you calculate it, lets say a shop rate of $50 per hour..... would put your time over what you lost on not getting the order completed. Tim may not have been your personal friend but he was a friend of the community you participate in. The money sent with no product receipt is still money well spent when measured against what is learned in this community.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:13 PM

Default Thank you Rick

Well said.

We wanted to get the info out to the community, so we keep the price of the books down. However, I cannot guarantee that we'll be able to do so on the next printing - if there is one. Each book will cost thousands to print, so we'll have to make a business decision at that time.

Lane is working hard on packaging and getting all of your orders out. We just did our second drop off at the post office today, and we expect to do a third later today. Lane likes to get stuff out on the same day the order is received, but I'm telling her that the next day works as well.

Hope you all enjoy the books as much as we do.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:18 PM

John, thanks my set of 5 is in one of those drops today, many thanks to all involved for getting this treasure trove of information out there for the members.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:46 AM
Meet Hosts

Great news and thankyou to all involved in this process. I am not able to get an e-mail out to Nate so I would like to ask that if possible some one would email me at geelhoeds@hotmail.com or call me directly at 269-948-9474 so I could somehow order book 5. I paid for the whole set long ago but am more than willing to help support this effort to salvage all this research!

Andy Geelhoed(guesswork)
Old 11-02-2016, 01:38 PM

Default How to buy book 5

Please read the announcement post - the last paragraph will give you the information I need. Not sure that I understand the portion about Nate?

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.