All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-04-2012, 04:04 PM

Default Sun-n-Fun

Is anybody planning on going to the Sun-n-Fun Fly-in in Lakeland?

Don't be offended when I ask (and I WILL ask), b/c my favorite question is, "why?" this is why. . . "Those who know how will always have a job. . . those who know why will be their boss."
Old 03-04-2012, 07:21 PM

Jason: I will be there. Most,if not all, of our regular instructors are planning to be there as well. It is just a few weeks away.

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com
Old 03-04-2012, 09:31 PM

Every year I try to make it, & somebody screws me up @ work... but I will not be deterred... I will prob only be able to show up one day, is there any one that would be better than the rest? I'm mostly only planning on going to meet you guys & learn some metalshaping. The planes are cool & all, but have less interest in them than the metalwork.

Don't be offended when I ask (and I WILL ask), b/c my favorite question is, "why?" this is why. . . "Those who know how will always have a job. . . those who know why will be their boss."
Old 03-04-2012, 11:22 PM

Jason: The workshops open at 9:00 AM and shut down at 4:00PM. Come and hang out all day if you want. We will be there and setup before then and you are welcome to come by before 9. We are at our slowest attendance starting at 2:00. That is when the warbirds fly. A bit noisy but easier to get on the English wheel. We will have 3 wheels.
The workshops are near the main entrance on the south side of the field. Just off to the left(west side) on the double road. You might want to get an early start to get parked and in. I have heard that traffic can be really slow moving.
If you hear a lot of hammering and laughter,that would be us. I am never sure where we have been assigned until we get there. There have been some substantial changes from the last few years with portable classrooms from the aviation based high school being removed.
Most of the workshop instructors are "advanced in years" so don't let the gray hair and beards or lack of hair scare you off. Jacob still has hair with some color. He is our "energized" instructor. You will understand that when you meet everyone. I am one of the gray bearded ones with a serious lack of hairs on the top. Easy to spot. Do tell us who you are when you get there, Jason. If you can miss the weekend crowd it would be better for you. Everyone is also shutting down on Sunday. Earlier in the week would be best and we aren't as worn out early on. We are dragging later in the week.

www.tuckpuck.com

Last edited by mr.c; 03-04-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:48 PM

Excellent! With any luck, I will be there on Wednesday... pretty much all day. I've got my fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the great information! Just a warning, I have a head full of luxurious hair, but don't hold that against me.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:44 PM

Yes. I have my plane tickets and I am really looking forward to being at the Sun-N-Fun. I am the only regular without facial hair. I am considering growing a beard just for the event so that I will fit in!
Last year, when the tornado blew through, I as stuck is a room with some Norwegian school girls. Boy that was tough!

Shrinking using a stump:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HAFndATFo4&t=7s

Making a reverse using a stump:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PlF1BoMCQI

Circular Truss E-Wheel
http://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=15419

Last edited by Jacob; 03-06-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:07 PM

Yes,I neglected to mention the Norwegian girls. That was a tough couple of days in the workshop. They were a fun group and good learners. Maybe it was the higher level of instruction imparted for the sake of foreign relations. We all had our ambassador's hats on for a day or two. Doing our duty for America.

www.tuckpuck.com
Old 03-09-2012, 07:20 AM

I'll be there too doing my regular VHPA thing. I'll also find some time to come over and visit you fellows as always.

I haven't been on here in a while because my main computer took a dump and I've had to resort to using a backup laptop until I can get a new one built.

I finished the Cobra wingtip and both the Huey and Cobra are now up in the air on display at the museum. I'll have pics at the flyin. See you there.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 AM

I need to learn as much as possible, so I'm hoping for a bunch of ugly old guys.

As of right now, I will be there on the 28th & I plan on staying for most of the day. Hopefully nobody here at work screws that up for me.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:25 PM

Odds are I'll be there on Friday, Saturday, and/or Sunday. Somewhere around here, I've got the bowl I made at the metal shaping workshop a few years ago. Now if I could just expand my skills so I could fix some old airplane parts...