All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Beginner Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 AM
Administrator

And here I am late to the party as usual!

Looking good there, Charley!

I use a wood mallet on steel A LOT! A lot more than steel when it comes to shaping. Hard plastic too, and I use the hard plastic on aluminum. Ok, so my wood mallet is one of them there baseball bat hammers folks have talked about. In the words of Kerry Pinkerton "Works good, lasts a long time".

Using the stump is the easiest way, but not always practical. You can introduce the "tucks" "artificially" using a tucking tool of some sort. I know several of us have made them from HF prybars and such. I rarely use mine anymore, but they do get their call to duty now and then. John Kelly shows (ion his tuck shrinking dvd, if it is still available) how to form tucks with just about everything - including a claw hammer. John hammers out his tucks backwards (), but the end result is the same.

I found it very helpful to learn to shrink steel with a steel hammer on a steel surface, even though that is how we usually stretch metal instead of shrinking it. It also works with a hammer and dolly. I could explain it, but I bet John Kelly can do it better.

There is also a YouTube video of Kris Pinkerton tuck shrinking the way I originally learned to do it.

To paraphrase Joe Hartson "There's more than one way to town".

Tim D.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoty View Post
And here I am late to the party as usual!
Tim D.
Yeah but look at what you brought

Now that I have mastered bowl making 101 (just kidding) what should I do with this? Keep pounding to bring the sides up more and get a tighter radius? Or just work on planishing it out the best I can with a hammer & dolly?

Can I put some type of lip around the top edge? What should I try next?

Thought I'd try a reverse, watched Jacobs youtube video but unfortunately a lot of what he was doing was out of the frame. Will I need to cut 1 edge of my stump block down to get the edge closer to the dished area for that?

Remember all I have is hand tools at this time.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Well, you can do a lip around the top if you'd like. You have the tools for that Use a hammer and dolly to turn the upper edge over and stretch it at the same time. Remember all that shrinking you did? You'll have to undo it to turn a lip.

Planishing practice would be a good thing too. Again, bring the hammer and dolly to the party. Basically you will need to go over every single square inch of the bowl (probably more than once) to get a fully planished surface. Light, even, closely spaced blows will level out the surface - even though the first bit of work will likely be a bit rougher than that just to get to a nice, even average.

Have fun with it and do something! That's the best way to learn

Tim D.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:00 PM

Charley: You mentioned that you were in Florida. Where in FL? There may be some help close by. I am in Ocala. Well actually I am back in the West Palm Beach area for the last couple of weeks.I will be back to Ocala shortly to start preparing for Sun-n-Fun. If you are close to that area,I would be happy to help. Otherwise, you will be an expert on bowl making by the end of the week at Sun-n-Fun. I can even show you how to turn your bowl inside out.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Spectator

Thanks, I'm in Frostproof just 30 miles souyh of Lakeland, gonna ride over to Daytona tomorrow for the day then having a yard sale Fri. & Sat. but after that I can ride up to Ocala for a few hours of nurturing. Be nice to get a headstart before Sun-N-Fun

two three nine - two nine two - one seven five zero

Verizon so any of you verizon guys the calls are free
Old 03-02-2010, 02:02 PM

Charley: I will let you know when I get back up there. It shouldn't be too long. I have a good bit of prep work to get ready for SNF. I need to tweak my circle cutter and make some more TuckPucks and mallets and.........
I had to make an emergency run down here and have stayed to work on the house and load up another trailer load of my "stuff".
Old 03-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Spectator

If you need any help with anything give me a yell, I'll be glad to help with anything.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:01 PM

I hope I can sneak away to sun-n-fun this year, looking forward to getting some of that hands-on learning. I'm Auburndale just a hop away. It's nice to see some local guys on here.

Don't be offended when I ask (and I WILL ask), b/c my favorite question is, "why?" this is why. . . "Those who know how will always have a job. . . those who know why will be their boss."
Old 03-10-2010, 09:40 PM

Default What to do with your first bowl.

Charley, I can tell you what I did with my first one. I kept shrinking the sides until they stood straight up, basically half a hemisphere. My goal was to make the radius as tight as possible. Second bowl I did the same thing, but started with a much smaller piece of sheet metal for even a tighter radii. They are on the work bench now, acting as parts holders. Should really flatten the bottoms out so they don't rock - but that can be a future project. John