All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-05-2011, 08:50 PM

Default Gas tacking?

I've always tacked one end, the other end, the middle, then fill in between when I o/a weld.

I noticed recently a post whee Peter T said to tack from one end to the other.
David G does the same thing on his video, of course he manipulates the sheet by hand as he goes which is something I'm not able to do and keep the up-down alignment of the sheets as good as they need to be.

So, how do you tack sheetmetal? One end to the other, or both ends first then fill in the middle, or some other way.

And why?
Old 11-05-2011, 09:22 PM

I have never tacked any panel in the same manner. Too many variables to give even a rule of thumb, in my opinion.

I look at the entire gap, then tack at where it is touching, or touching with the most force. Then to the next point, so on and so forth, Stretching the tacks or weld only as needed.

Depends on the gap, on wether or not you care about arrangment, on how skilled you are at tacking, on how skilled you are at stretching, all that and so on.

Do what works. For many, following those rules of thumb (tack every inch, high amp/heat tacks, mig tacks, no tacks, etc) work.

What works for you? In what situations does it work?

Marty
Old 11-06-2011, 09:27 AM
MetalShaper of the month 06-12, 02-14

When tacking both ends you are not allowing the joint to expand and contract. When starting at one end and working towards the other, the joint can open and close from the heat when tacking and settle back together, this can help stop the two parts from buckling, as it would if tacked at both ends and proceeding in the middle. As Marty said, there are many variables and it all depends on the preperation and care taken before tacking. All this is important for laying the foundataions for the perfect weld.

www.kustomgarage.com.au
Old 11-06-2011, 05:01 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Tack at one end and work to the other, if you tack in each end and then the middle you will end up with real problems because there is no way of knowing if you have the same amount of metal between the tacks, this will cause bulges in the panel. I weld large lengths using my method. The longest weld I have done like this is about five foot or more.

Marty if you have gaps between your panels you are not using the correct method to mark out and cut your panels so your panels do not fit each other. The method I use enables the two sections to be marked and cut accurately then lined up at exactly the same point as they were marked so they match each other exactly and will tack up perfectly every time.

The sections below were first tacked starting at one end then and working towards the other. Then welded in one go without stopping.

The door below was done in the same way and then dressed out, this is a fairly flat panel so demonstrates that gas welding done in this way can cause little distortion that can then be dressed out.

David

All things are possible.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:38 PM

Default Video

Here's how Kent White does it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF1Srs_e1Aw

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:41 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

I fully agreed with david and Jamie and I use the same method all the time for welding
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 11-06-2011, 10:08 PM

Snap, with David G and Peter T. If you take your time to tack it up right it will weld so much easier. But i also see Marty C point of view, sometimes you have to bend the rule of thumb to suit yourself or the situation.

Assumption is the Mother of all Sutff ups.

Resto Rod Race.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:13 PM

David,

Could you explain about your scribing method for parts.?

Thanks,

Nico

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
Tack at one end and work to the other, if you tack in each end and then the middle you will end up with real problems because there is no way of knowing if you have the same amount of metal between the tacks, this will cause bulges in the panel. I weld large lengths using my method. The longest weld I have done like this is about five foot or more.

Marty if you have gaps between your panels you are not using the correct method to mark out and cut your panels so your panels do not fit each other. The method I use enables the two sections to be marked and cut accurately then lined up at exactly the same point as they were marked so they match each other exactly and will tack up perfectly every time.

The sections below were first tacked starting at one end then and working towards the other. Then welded in one go without stopping.

The door below was done in the same way and then dressed out, this is a fairly flat panel so demonstrates that gas welding done in this way can cause little distortion that can then be dressed out.

David