All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-28-2012, 04:33 PM

Default welding and disortion

i started thid thread to have some thougths exchange about how to weld with very little disortion

i have seen davids dvd he mensions gas welding without filler rod
i agree completly after seeing his dvd this is the best way

but i cant do gas welding i dont have the equipment

i believe the disortion with tig and with mig can be little like the gas welding

the most important is even tacks , even gap or no gap and no fillerrod
or 1 mm gap and filler rod

star welding and dont stop an even hazard and the same weld from start to finish is the most important

with mig (thats what i did the past 15 years) there is another problem
the weld is so much thicker the the sheet it holds the sheet from cming back when its in the cooling proces
this is way i tack every 10 mm or so gring the tacks then start to weld
i weld in overlapping tacks 3 or 4 tacks the i grind them directly 95 %
and directly have another 3 or 4 tacks until my weld is all done

this way whe the part i welded is going to cool down there is allmost no extra thickness cause i already grinded and the sheet is cooling to its original position allmost completely

only problem with the mig welds is that they are hardened and more dificult dressing out

this is not ment for saying whats the best way to weld just to test theory how to get less disortion because i dont think the disortion in different welding methods is caused by so different temperatures
the hazards can be small with all the welding methods more important to have the hazards even

so i like some thaugths
Old 02-28-2012, 04:40 PM

Dont you think the amount of distortion is directly related to the width of the Haz? And the more even it (the HAZ) is, as David mentions, the more even the distortion?

I agree there is less distortion with mig, but it has its own issues to be dealt with, like you mention. David mentions his methods are likely easier to finish out because the distorion is more even, and you wont be chasing your tail and the distortion.

Me, I dont worry about it so much, I have gotten pretty good at chasing my tail. Errr, I mean distortion

Those are my thoughts, and I completely reserve the right to be wrong, and to my opinion

Marty
Old 02-28-2012, 04:52 PM

yes maybe its what ecxatly is disortion
if you see davids weld with a perfect even haz the weld may sit a bit lower the the rest of the panel due to the shrinking caused by welding

is that disortion ???

it could be my understanding of english but i think the wiggely waggelly you can get if your haz is not even caused by stopping half way , or not an even gap, or blowing holes ,or what ever reason
that is what i call disortion

a weld a little lower then the sheet over the whole way of the weld is just a little shrink

and yes the bigger the haz the more shrink but there is now need for wiggely waggel (maybe a new word but it was all i could come up with)
Old 02-28-2012, 04:56 PM

Robert, its perfect! In my mind, possibly others, any shrink is distortion.

I do understand what you mean when you say wiggle waggle, meaning a very uneven HAZ like I am used to producing.

This is great, i mean, bringing common terms and knowledge across a language barrier to a common understanding. It doesnt matter what its called really, as long as we understand what is meant.

Marty
Old 02-29-2012, 01:38 AM

I MIG almost everything. To me, my TIG is for the "weird" metals. (there, I said it )

I do not consider myself a metal shaper after seeing what everyone else posts. But I have gotten to the point of using less than a gallon of filler on a restoration.

However I buy the big panels. Been making more and more smaller panels over the last few year because of what I have learned from the group. (plus the ones that are not reproduced)

With that being said.... The last few quarter skins I have put on cars, I just hose the wire at the seam! Tack it every inch, get your settings set, and GO!

I don't have the waves I had when I did a spot here, did a spot there, etc.

(disclaimer... I am not "metal finishing" these welds. I do bodywork.)

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service