Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Your welding supplier is clueless.

Yes yes, I know this
Old 07-28-2009, 05:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Quote:
David,

I have been looking high and low for the Gas welding Flux you used to weld the Alum. Where or what is it called? I found some flux for brazing aluminum and the guys at my local welding shop tell me that welding Alum with gas is not possible, I know it is BTW, so I am wanting to prove them wrong. Do I use the same flux?
Chris, I can't remember where in the world you are and it does not say on your profile. My flux is from BOC or rather Murex. for English people this should be available from just about all welding suppliers. I have used Anti Borax welding flux from America and it is about the same. If you are in England Chris I would be interested in the name of the welding supplier that gave you that bull cos they dont know what they are talking about, how can someone be in a business like that and know so little?.

I have had people tell me that it is not possible to weld brass with Gas but saying its not possible to weld aluminium with gas is taking the biscuit

David

All things are possible.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:48 AM

The guy behind the counter was new so I have to give him some slack. The normal guy I speak with has been out for a couple weeks.

I'll update my profile.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:11 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Chris, I am sure the flux from henrob Jim will be fine but if you want to buy some Anti-Borax flux try www.panel-craft.com
I am sure you will enjoy speaking to Joe Stafford too.

All things are possible.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris@whiterhino View Post
David,

I have been looking high and low for the Gas welding Flux you used to weld the Alum. Where or what is it called? I found some flux for brazing aluminum and the guys at my local welding shop tell me that welding Alum with gas is not possible, I know it is BTW, so I am wanting to prove them wrong. Do I use the same flux?
Also you can check with Superior Flux in Cleveland 440-349-3000. They make all sorts and custom mixes also.Dan
Old 06-18-2010, 04:24 PM

Default Gas welding

After watching the dvd by David Gardiner I will be using gas cost of a tig unit is a couple of thousand dollars i have a mig and have experienced the cracking on the welds his method of welding is simple and straight forward what i like is that he gives you different ways of tackling jobs and best of all the skills to finish the job to a professional level and you dont need to spend alot of money with fancy tools that is the major difference i have found looking at other dvds on the market unless you have an unlimited cheque book which i havent i would highly recommend Davids dvd already my panel beating skills have improved immensely in a very short time i even have made up my own tools and have already done a paid rust repair job which more than covered the dvd in my books the best money i ever spent i am grateful that he shared his expertise for people interested in learning like myself.brentnz
Old 06-18-2010, 04:41 PM

Default Mig weld

hello guys
I have not had much of an issue with mig welds cracking . Usually I go through the process at a slow pace . I,m not saying I,m abetter welder than most. Following Jharals directions should keep your problems to a minumum .
Thanks larry
Old 06-18-2010, 06:19 PM

Johnny's method of doing sheet metal with a mig is very correct. A lot of the part time people are only going to have one welder and because the mig is even cheaper than the torch he will be buying the Mig. If you practice Johnny's method you can do as good of work with it as the torch or the tig. You can even get fatser than the one hour per foot. If you properly grind the proud weld level with the sheet metal you will .have no problem wih weld cracking. It is all practice practice practice. For any one that plans on doing a lot of sheet metal seam welding you shoild step up and get either a gas torch or a tig welder as either one with practice will get you through the process easier and faster. For the people with a small budget the torch would be the best option as it is reasonable and very versatile ad does a good job . The Tig is a nice machine but like the othe 2 it takes practice and uderstanding of the weld procedures that you are doing. If You really work at it and practice and kepp your self educated on its use you can getas good as the Rod withDoc and weld a whole panel in less than a minute and get minamull distortion. It is all education,practice Dutch
(315)866-3034
comstockmetalshaping.com
Old 06-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Thanks Dutch. I learned the method from reading on these forums. I was amazed that by following the directions that were given to me, resulted in something that I was pleased with.

I had to weld with the mig because it was all that I had. I have since bought a tig and just got my first torch set.

Lately I have been tig welding all of my panels but I still have a lot to learn. I still get decent results with the tig but I think it is because I learned with the mig how the metal would react when welded and what needed to be done to counter react it.

Understanding how to work out the distortion is what is important.

I'm glad I started with a mig, it is easy to learn and by re-stretching the haz as I went along gave me a understanding on what was really going on.

Still have a lot of practicing to do. Probably to late for me but I will pass this down to my son. Same as my Dad passed me down his knowledge.

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.