All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Buck Building
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-25-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toreadorxlt View Post
yup, I scanned a few cars with an Artec EVA scanner. Most dirty scan data should be interpreted, then cut into sections for use when making bucks.

Just went window shopping for that Artec scanner, not in my league, as in 14.5K used. I did find this this very funny review on Amazon: "I had to sell my child for this unit but it was totally worth it. I went to the person who bought my kid and asked them if I could make a 3D scan of him. Now I have the best of both worlds! I am just waiting for the Holo-deck to come out so that I can upload my kid to the matrix"

Steve, while that scanner is out for me at least, what software do you use? Maybe that's available reasonably or thru a class at my local CC.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:59 AM
MetalShaper of the Month August '15 Jan '17 Dec'17 Aug'19

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldtoride View Post
Just went window shopping for that Artec scanner, not in my league, as in 14.5K used. I did find this this very funny review on Amazon: "I had to sell my child for this unit but it was totally worth it. I went to the person who bought my kid and asked them if I could make a 3D scan of him. Now I have the best of both worlds! I am just waiting for the Holo-deck to come out so that I can upload my kid to the matrix"

Steve, while that scanner is out for me at least, what software do you use? Maybe that's available reasonably or thru a class at my local CC.
I've scanned at Wrays with one, and an early Porsche Gmund for Rod Emory with one. Amazing scanner thats lightnining quick. Post processing takes a bit, but that can be done after the scans are taken.

Scanning:
Artec's software

all my surface modeling is done in:
Rhinoceros 5.0 - $1000

STL/Mesh refinement:

Meshlabs - Freeware
Magics 19 - $$$$$$$
Old 02-25-2016, 01:06 PM

Steve,

With scanning, are you using unmodified mesh data to make sections or are you having to redraw the surfaces to get good enough quality to section?

No matter how clever you think you are, stupidity is always one step ahead!!!!
Old 02-25-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxakarudy View Post
Steve,

With scanning, are you using unmodified mesh data to make sections or are you having to redraw the surfaces to get good enough quality to section?

I typically resurface for large objects like cars. the nature of scanning in polygons... curves cut through here are really segmented lines... and sometimes there are errors that need to be manually interpreted after scan alignment.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:50 PM

Rhino Nurbs made over scan mesh data... mesh data isnt showing here.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:14 PM
MetalShaper of the Month July '14

Something to take into account is the thickness of the individual station, while I was working on my cobra buck all 13 shts 8x4 ply I had a discussion with Kerry on where would the collected data pass through the station. Initially I thought the centre but that would mean in some section material is missing.

Follow the Dream - Sideways - - But don't fall-off the edge

'good to know you guys care'
https://ctrestorations.com/
Old 02-25-2016, 03:44 PM

Thanks Steve,

This is what I've assessed is the situation with scanning, the scan data is really just a template for someone very skilled at interpreting the mesh and who knows the software to a high degree and redraws the shapes.

The impression people get is that the scan is ready to slice and dice into an buck, it is possible, but the quality of examples I've been given don't give smooth accurate profiles, they need to be redrawn to get them right, as you said.

Learning Rhino or any other surfacing software to your level must take years, even if you use it everyday, very similar to learning to shape metal or weld.

I'm learning Rhino and learning the tools and procedures to accurately get the shapes you want is not easy, because you have to understand how surfaces are best drawn, if you get it wrong they never blend properly when you use the Zebra lines to analyse connecting surfaces. Plugins like TSplines help the less skilled operators create smooth shapes quicker, but you still really have to understand where you are going.

If you are paying someone to redraw a mesh, I'm sure it would cost quite a lot and rightly so in my opinion, as it's a real skill in its own right.

No matter how clever you think you are, stupidity is always one step ahead!!!!

Last edited by Maxakarudy; 02-26-2016 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:43 AM

Great info.
Im still waiting to get a quote for my scan.
Sounds like the scanning is the easier part, the processing is the harder part. I was thinking of buying the scanner and doing it all my self, im thinking again now

Last edited by Bart; 02-26-2016 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:53 PM

How did the video go clifrod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post
Bart, the methods I will demonstrate this Friday at Redneck Roundup ( & then post to video for all here asap) are what I use to enlarge 2D patterns. No computers, significant expense or typical limiting things like plotter size, just the time to do it. Very Simple and very accurate. Detail level is dependent upon how many points are replicated.

If you are enlarging by a whole integer multiple (3x, 4x, 10x) it is somewhat more simple because you only need a straight line and calipers to calculate and capture new dimensions to apply to the pattern. That is part of what I'll demonstrate as well.

The problem often encountered if that accuracy OR inaccuracy is also multiplied by the same factor. Little models/patterns have to be perfectly accurate to enlarge in big steps. I was trained to enlarge by a factor <2 if possible each time, correcting as needed before the next enlargement unless the model/pattern is really good. This is not always practical, but this is still SOP for some of the best foundry and portrait sculptors with whom I work.

These methods, which work very easily for 2D enlargement, were actually taught to me to use for accurate 3D enlargement. That is not as simple, well beyond the scope of a brief workshop and probably not as relevant here. I realize many here will not use these methods in lieu of modern technology. Even so, they provide a means to easily double check the accuracy of work, whether 2D or 3D.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:01 AM

So I went ahead with the 3D scan, I wanted to make really sure the panels are spot on.