> GrandWillys Project - Page 62 - All MetalShaping <
All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-14-2017, 06:44 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015

The heater-A/C unit took some damage in the accident. It is attached to both the firewall, in three points, as well as the inner frame in 4 places. The side impact moved the frame and broke all the firewall mounts and one on the frame itself. I made inner and outer sheet metal reinforcements that were riveted on, sandwiching the original plastic in between.

The unit only just clears the cowl which will make the ducting a bit difficult.

Can now see how the frame bolts into the new mounts I made above the kick panels.

Also the extra ones into the A pillars. They brace the pillars left to right very well now.

All original mounts are used between the firewall, and the frame for the heater-A/C unit and the frame to the lower cowl, upper kick panels, transmission hump and the extras in the A pillars!

While things are getting laid out and still are accessible, I looked at where the wipers can go. There is just no room for them in the cowl area like I suspected.

I could maybe flip it upside down and put the donor unit into the header panel. Have the pivot points come in below the gutter in the middle of the panel above the windscreen.

I would have to cut a lot away to fit it into the header panel and then make a new frame over it to put the strength back. Even sunk all the way the motor would still sit up about 50mm-2" above the header. I checked the roof panel height and it would still clear it though.

The only problem is that the wipers would now park vertically which I don't want. Reversing the polarity only works if the housing is not grounded, so would have to check that to make the motor turn the other way. Some gear boxes have a parking plate that can be turned 180* to alter the park position, otherwise a LHD one would work as they rotate in the opposite direction and are a mirror image of this one. A universal cable driven wiper unit might work but heard they are not as good as a OEM linkage arrangement?
www.go.jeep-xj.info

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:44 AM

A cable operated wiper system could be a good way to go. There are aftermarket kits, also MG's, Jag's etc. used them with the motor in a remote location. With some work you could adapt your Jeep motor to drive the cable and keep all of the original functions.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:37 PM

I don't have personal experience with cable driven wipers but I know guys in the pro-touring community are using some variants that work well. I would suggest avoiding the "hot rod" versions they sell and look more into either race car based systems or, as mentioned, the units marketed to pro-tour Camaros and such. I think the newer designs are more robust and useful than some of the contraptions that existed in the past.

I feel your pain on wipers - absolutely vital to driving the vehicle but usually not high on the list when we are designing things and sometimes we get painted in a corner. If I had mounted the body of my car even 1/2" lower, the wipers would have been impossible to package. Something I didn't find out until the body was already mounted and the car half built !

Love your project and your detailed photos and description of what you're doing. My favorite project on AllMetalShaping.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:09 AM

I might be a little too arduino hungry, but i would consider using a stepper motor per wiper and control them with an arduino board. That could be quite small and you wouldn't need the interconnecting frame.

good luck and thanks for sharing your build!
jochem.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:10 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Thinking the cable type system will be the way to go as too many structural compromises cutting sections out of the top of the header panel to make the donor one fit.
Reading up on it it seems OEM from a Jag etc is a good way to go but they are getting a bit long in the tooth now and can be worn. Made in the USA Specialty Power version is regarded as best in the aftermarket as the cheaper Chinese ones strip easily as have non hardened components. I like to be frugal but this might be a time not to!
www.go.jeep-xj.info

Old 01-15-2017, 12:57 PM

Maybe another option to consider for wipers- the late 1960s Ford Thunderbirds used a hydraulic wiper system, infinitely variable speed. The fluid lines were connected to the power steering pump. Don't know that the transmission was significantly different. Just a suggestion, even if only for a low profile drive system to eliminate the large motor.

Your build is really something. Thanks for posting it.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:35 PM

Happy New year Marcus,

I'm using the Jag Wipers in my A Model and they are going in the head above the Windscreen my theory is if the jag one wears out I can find a replacement easily enough because every body has a Jag wreck in their backyard.

Stop moving so fast, you're creating a breeze.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:37 AM

Many thanks for the suggestions. Looking at the Jag, Mini and even Land Rover ones to try and find a complete setup.
Seems the best and most affordable way to go.
www.go.jeep-xj.info

Old 01-16-2017, 02:40 PM

You can also have a look at BMW E34 or E39. It has a nice self contained unit.