All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Buck Building
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-26-2016, 04:39 PM

Default laser measuring for a buck ??

A while back someone suggested that a laser could be used in place of rods in a bridge for making a buck. If that would work, what level/quality laser would be needed? Would a Leica Disto work?
Old 12-26-2016, 05:09 PM

I'm pretty sure that it would've referred to laser scanning to create a surface model which a Disto wouldn't be capable of.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:00 PM

I'm thinking something short of a scanner. I'm thinking of something that you could use to create individual profile gauges or stations? on a buck. I was thinking showing data points, but feeding info to a computer would allow me to print out the profiles. Maybe this unit can't do it, But maybe something else could? That wouldn't break the bank?
Old 12-26-2016, 06:52 PM

Default Need more info

Norm,

You might get better/more responses if you let folks know what you are trying to accomplish. Motorcycle tank? Bugatti? Semi truck? Something that actually exists, or that you are trying to create?

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
Norm,

You might get better/more responses if you let folks know what you are trying to accomplish. Motorcycle tank? Bugatti? Semi truck? Something that actually exists, or that you are trying to create?
This is the way I did my present project, but I'm thinking there must be an easier way. Willys.P7120057.jpg

P7120058.jpg

P7120059.jpg
Old 12-26-2016, 08:34 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

As an alternative to the pointing frames, I suggested using a series of small plumb bobs to capture and transfer dimensions to quickly make flat 2d patterns for individual stations. Measuring draft or undercut needs to be done carefully from one of the plumb lines but isn't a significant problem. It's very cheap and accurate, although not necessarily instant numeric data for a computer.

Regarding your computer data desire- On my shelf of tools I thought I might use but never really have is a (think it's a TWA-related symptom....) is a hand held laser distance measuring device. It's still basically nib somewhere around here and not sure how precise it is. Maybe something like that, utilized along a consistent framework, would provide more hi-tech compatible numbers for developing an e-file without as big an expenditure as some other equipment?

Still, all it would be doing is exactly what the plumb bobs do...
Old 12-27-2016, 02:19 AM

Clifford
That is exactly the type of device I'm talking about. Since my original post I've done further research and a number of units for about $100-150 are accurate to +/- 1/16 of an inch. I think it might work.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:44 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Norson, would you be so kind as to provide some more elaborate info on the laser measuring devices that you mentioned?
Old 12-27-2016, 09:02 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Norm,

I got mine to help measure/approximate with sculpture work, which could tolerate some variation. Accuracy for your needs would probably be much less forgiving.

Briefly being a fly on the wall around member Scott White's very methodical scanning of vehicles and foundry-related sculpture scanning elsewhere, I expect you might have to do some of the same things to manage the readings. Things like being far from perpendicular and specifically tangent will probably significantly disrupt your readings. Trying to read a very crooked surface might produce a reading that was convenient to the meter instead of a reading of what you want. For example, the meter might read the closer edge of that circular area instead of the desired center.

I understood that the ability to define/isolate what you are measuring to be a major benefit of the laser method. That meter I have may capture a dimension from a larger area, such as a larger circular area instead of a pinpoint, which would probably make it ineffective for the application we're considering here.

For reference, I regularly point sculpture work the old fashioned way with either pointing machine or compasses. The benefits and pitfalls haven't really changed over the centuries. Only the equipment has. I lean towards simplicity because it is a more serviceable approach.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:39 PM

Will
I Googled "Laser Distance Measurer" or LDM. The most common brands are Bosch, Leica, Stanley and Dewalt. Some models are equipped with Bluetooth so they can share data with iPads and smart phones. One model actually clamps to a smart phone for direct input. The Leica has a "pole bracket" adapter. My thought was to attach the unit to vertical (or horizontal) beam and move it in short increments, taking readings at each point, much like the fingers in a profile gauge. If the data was in a computer you could print out a profile so you could make that station? for your buck. It could be that I'm trying to "drive a tack with a sledge hammer". It could be it would be less involved to just continue to use a profile gauge.