All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Buck Building
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-18-2016, 08:39 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Had a chance to fit a VERY NICE original fender on the buck yesterday, and was happy with the fit. I still have a few sharp corners that have to 'contoured', but it fit quite well in my opinion. The additional 'wood' showing below the outer fender contour is where the edge of the panel will be cut to allow for material to form the wire edge and the joggle.

WCPaul 002.jpg

WCPaul 003.jpg

WCPaul 008.jpg

WCPaul 009.jpg

WCPaul 010.jpg
Old 12-18-2016, 05:57 PM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2017

Will, thanks for these pictures, great detail in them.

If you have time, could you discuss a little bit about your approach to creating the new panel. How many pieces? Where are going to start forming? What do you see as the most difficult part to make? Stupid question: Will you be approaching this differently since you are more experienced than you would have when you first started? What are the common mistakes beginners make?
I don't expect you to address all of the questions, but I wanted to 'pick your' brain at this point to understand your thought process.
Thank you very much, this is very interesting and informative.
Happy Holidays!
Dave
Old 12-18-2016, 07:15 PM

Hay, Dave. Under the best of conditions, I am a novice metal shaper, and this is another method that I am using to become more accomplished. I started doing this so I could get some more experience in shaping aluminum, and my first approach will be to determine about how many panels to make this fender in. Probably 6-7 parts. Progress will probably be slow, as I have many projects going on at the same time, but I will post what I can. Thanks for your interest.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:57 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Will,

Watching this project unfold, you dazzled me into a trance. It just dawned upon me that your Model A Speedster probably won't have full Model A fenders....

So is this for one of your other Model A projects or mostly an exercise that is relevant to the cars you enjoy so much?
Old 12-19-2016, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post
...could you discuss a little bit about your approach to creating the new panel. How many pieces? Where are going to start forming?...
I'll throw in my 2 cents here. When I was a novice, I wasted a lot of time and metal trying to make panels that were beyond my skill. As my skill grew, I realized a few things:

1- What I could do as a novice in 2-3 pieces, I could now do in 1
2- Just because I could did not necessarily mean I should
3- Sometimes putting a couple panels together with a weld if VASTLY faster than trying to manage it in one piece.
4- When welding multiple panels together, BE SURE...BE DAMN SURE, that they are in proper arrangement relative to each other. Failure to do this will mean you have a very complex panel with that doesn't have the shape you want. A hard buck like Will made is very helpful with this.

I used to believe that welding panels together was a sign of weakness and poor skills...sort of like using filler. If I had spent the time I wasted trying to make overly complex panels improving my welding skills, I'd be miles and miles ahead.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:12 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Might as well throw in my 2 cents.

I couldn’t agree more, “divide and conquer” is excellent advice for generals and metalshapers ESPECIALLY BEGINNING METALSHAPERS. If you get a project or job done in a quarter or sixth of the time by making it in a few pieces with sound welds you’d be foolish not to. It will possibly keep you from getting discouraged or put a few bucks in your pocket to buy some new hammers, snips or that used brake. While arguably you could learn more by making a large panel in one piece I’d say it’s much more likely that you will get discouraged and give up…….. especially when you have little experience, equipment and tools. Staying in the craft and gaining experience & equipment is what allows you to make panels with less & less pieces IMO. ~ John Buchtenkirch

Last edited by John Buchtenkirch; 12-20-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:33 AM

Thanks John and Kerry. From my current perspective, I have come to believe strongly with both of your comments, they are both accurate and well stated.!
Old 12-20-2016, 03:05 PM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2017

All, thank you very much! I don't have enough experience to respond appropriately, so all I can say is thank you! I will comprehend and apply your advice and move forward. Again, thanks!
Old 12-20-2016, 06:25 PM

Will nice job! Do you know what 3D scanner equipment Scott White used? Any particular reason you chose to have the buck cut with water jet, it can be cost prohibitive. You must have access to some nice equipment.