All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-08-2013, 05:16 PM

Thanks again Kerry...
Old 01-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfs View Post
I have 4 E-wheels in my shop
two Lazze wheels ( onley one are my )
one hommade whit 3x3 lower and 9x4 upper bye Hoosier
one Chines ( the one at the topp of your list )...
Karl are your 'Lazze' wheels the real thing or the Chinese knock offs? I've seen and used Lazzes machines and they are VERY stiff. The machines in the links look like a cartoon based on the Lazze design. Based on the other Chinese cwheels, I'd not expect much,
Old 01-08-2013, 05:20 PM

Mitch,

I'm getting bits and plans together to build myself a wheel this year. To that end I bought some different sets of lower wheels from Joe & Peggy at Hoosier just before Christmas and will be going back for a top wheel but here's a couple of things to consider. Besides the prices of the USPS flat rate boxes going up soon ( as discussed in another thread), I've been informed the prices for shipping jump considerably over 20lbs in weight. Import duties (20% + ) are based on the combined total of the declared value of the goods and postage together with an £8 admin charge levied by Parcelforce for dealing with the UK side of the delivery. That can amount to quite a lot more and is worth considering. You'll receive an invoice in respect of each parcel from Parcelforce for payment of these before they'll release them either by delivery or collection from your local depot.

I've looked at other options, Contour's own (nice machine but £2400) as well as Justin Lee Baker's sets and cast iron frames / WNS etc but haven't found anyone in the UK offering finely toleranced hardened anvils or the flexibility of design options I'm after. I figure if I'm going to build something I want it to last and be up to the job. It would have been cheaper for me to buy something off the shelf but wouldn't have offered many of the facilities I'm trying to build in with a bespoke design. If you intend going to Hoosier, PM me and I can provide further info.

Regards
Old 01-08-2013, 05:22 PM

I agree with Kerry, you would be much better off building the frame and adjuster yourself and the rollers from Hoosier.

I would never buy a chinese E-wheel, I saw a different model this weekend at an auction and the quality was just horrible.

You could buy the kit with the adjuster, but then you will probably go over your budget, especially if you also want the lower wheels hardened (+$100). Also don't forget that you will most likely have to pay taxes and import duties.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:29 PM

Thanks Phil and Rob.

I did see the Contour wheel, hmmm it's a lot of cash. I also wanted to get some other tooling and finally build my flow bench this year. I've got some more thinking to do and looks like I'll have to get some overtime in whichever way I go.

Is it best to go for hardened lower wheels?

Thanks again guys, all very helpful and sensible advice.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 PM

Mitch,

The only reason I've gone for the hardened option is following a couple of courses at Contour. I don't think any of their anvils were hardened and we students were advised to only use a couple of the wheels for dressing welded panels as it could cause damage to the better ones. They teach autogenous/butt welding without filler rod for both steel and aluminium so they don't have too much hard filler material to deal with. However, as I'll have only one wheel to choose from thought I'd protect it as much as possible.

Regards
Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 AM

Thanks Phil.

The plan is I I'll buy the anvil set from Justin Baker: http://www.justinbaker.co.uk/index_files/anvils.htm

I'll draw up a frame, get it laser cut and then weld her together. Thanks guys for the advice. I'll post a build thread once I get everything drawn up and worked out.

Cheers,
Old 01-09-2013, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Mitch, I'd not recommend the 50mm diameter anvils. Have you ever used a hand truck with small wheels and one with large wheels? Remember how difficult it is to roll the small wheels over air hoses, cords, etc? That is what happens with the small diameter anvils.

You'll be much happier with 3" diameter anvils.

Laser cut frames are nice but you can save a bunch of money if you fabricate it from tubing.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 AM

Thanks again Kerry, so I'd be best off with the 5 x KENDRICK / RANALAH PATTERN ANVILS in the previous link?

A mate gets quite a bit of stuff laser cut cheaply down in Englandshire and I was suprised how cheap he could get it done for. It would be much more up here in Aberdeen. I'll get a price and see what it's like.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:59 AM

What kind of material are you planning to use it for?

I primairely use 1.5mm alu 1050h14 and have a chinese Lazze wheel due to my budget. The problem is that there are more than one chinese copy of the Lazze chaped wheel.

So if you'r planning to use steel and can not try-before-you-buy I would be carefull. My former chinese wheel was terrible.

I bought my present chinese one from a Dutch firm Vocor and I know these guys for some time. So if I would not be happy with the wheel than I could return it.

I'm new to metal shaping and have only approx. 50 hours on the wheel but I like it very much using aluminum. I have no experience with steel.

What width do you want to wheel in one direction?

If I would have the budget like you I would built one myself.

Kind regards,

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.9 KB, 73 views)