All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-30-2019, 08:49 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2022'

Have you tried shaping any of your practice welds yet?

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:03 AM

Skincarter said: "so theoretically I should have no excuses other than complete and total operator ineptitude."

Naw, just lack of concentration.

Anyone attending a Tinman workshop or demo (Oshkosh for example) will be impressed with the level of concentration Kent brings to the task.

A level above and beyond "any job worth doing is worth doing well"

Of course he makes it look easy, but he pays attention to detail and to the "in process" results that attention achieves.

FWIW
Old 05-30-2019, 05:45 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by fciron View Post
Have you tried shaping any of your practice welds yet?

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
I did crush one of the welds in the Wheel Lewis. Certainly much better than trying to crush a tig weld. But no shaping at this stage. I'm still getting inconsistent penetration or too much buildup. Will get back to it this weekend and have a further play.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Bourget View Post
Skincarter said: "so theoretically I should have no excuses other than complete and total operator ineptitude."
Naw, just lack of concentration.
Anyone attending a Tinman workshop or demo (Oshkosh for example) will be impressed with the level of concentration Kent brings to the task.
A level above and beyond "any job worth doing is worth doing well"
Of course he makes it look easy, but he pays attention to detail and to the "in process" results that attention achieves. FWIW
Thanks Marc. Kent's DVD and the flux have been shipped, so I should see them in a week or so and then the eyewear etc... shortly after. Looking forward to checking out the DVD, as apart from short clips on t'Web I haven't seen anybody welding ali with O/A. I'd love to attend one of Kent's workshops, but family health makes it a bit difficult to travel from New Zealand at this stage.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:32 AM

There's always the approach of bringing Mohammed to the Mountain (NZ)

He's made trips to OZ before!

I believe there are enough enthusiasts in NZ to support a visit!

Doesn't hurt to ask!
Old 05-31-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Bourget View Post
There's always the approach of bringing Mohammed to the Mountain (NZ)
He's made trips to OZ before!
I believe there are enough enthusiasts in NZ to support a visit!
Doesn't hurt to ask!
Would be nice to see Kent here Marc. My shed is probably big enough to host a small gathering and we have the epicentre of NZ Warbird restoration just 5 minutes away at Ardmore. The guys there have recently finished DH Mosquito #3 which flew for the first time in the US a couple of days ago with Lewis Air Legends in TX and an Airacobra took to the skies again here a couple of months back. Plenty of other interesting stuff going on around the area and I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to fill a class from the aircraft guys and car guys that I know. NZ is not a bad place to visit as well - particularly the South Island, which is just breathtaking.

Last edited by skintkarter; 05-31-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:02 AM

Just received the DVD from Kent - 'Gas Welding Aluminium' and already I'm learning from just watching it through a couple of times. Immediately I picked up that I wasn't warming the joint before fluxing and logically the 3/64th wire roll Kent uses, is far more uniform in section than the slivers of sheet I was shearing. Plus the no waste angle from a continuous roll appeals to my OCD from a shop neatness angle and of course my tightwad Yorkshire upbringing. Looking forward to receiving the eyegear, wire and tools shortly. The wire should give me a much more controlled deposition when I do dab. More shortly when I get back to the learning process, but work and the most hateful job in the shop - CV boots on my Audi have me distracted right now.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:23 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by skintkarter View Post
Just received the DVD from Kent - 'Gas Welding Aluminium' and already I'm learning from just watching it through a couple of times. Immediately I picked up that I wasn't warming the joint before fluxing and logically the 3/64th wire roll Kent uses, is far more uniform in section than the slivers of sheet I was shearing. Plus the no waste angle from a continuous roll appeals to my OCD from a shop neatness angle and of course my tightwad Yorkshire upbringing.
are you saying you have not been welding the ends of welding rod together?...

Old 06-05-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb View Post
are you saying you have not been welding the ends of welding rod together?...

No mate, I've been trying to do what I understand the old timers did (as I'm only a few sleeps away from being a pensioner) in that they whipped a sliver off the end of a sheet so that they were welding with parent metal. Not that I plan to polish the Group 5, but there are polished sickle tanks in the head , so figured I should try.

Sorry I've just twigged that you probably mean me trying to fuse the 3" discards together as I'm from t'Yorkshire... Doh!
Old 06-06-2019, 11:52 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2022'

I'm using aluminum filler rod intended for Tig welding.

I've tried to weld the stubs together without success. I think it'd have to put them in a third hand or something to hold both in position. Frustrating because it's my SOP when welding steel. 😆 Steel rods are cheaper too!