All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Beginner Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-12-2009, 03:41 PM

Default done a bit more

Ok all
had another play with my bowls oh er misses, got the first one alm ost fitting the fsp

I think at this point i am going to stop with these two , there is quite a bit of shape in them , started with a 10" dia blank they are now 8" across the opening and 4 1/4" deep . will have a go at doing a couple more later in the summer got a couple of other jobs to do now and then summer vacation .

Anyone new to metal shaping reading this please have a go and post your results however good or bad because it helps all of us to develope our skills.
CHEERS
Old 06-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Nice job Chris!

Next time instead of making new bowls let's take a pattern from something that we both have and we will try and re-produce it together and document are progress.

Thanks again for taking interest and posting your results.

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:49 AM

Sounds like a good idea johnny its going to be a few weeks probably early august before i have time to play as such got a couple of jobs to do which i will be posting on this site and then Vacation time for a couple of weeks end of july
Cheers
Old 06-16-2009, 10:06 PM

Default My first bowl attempt.

My first bowl- My "pin mallet" lost its head halfway through, because I didn't let the epoxy set long enough. I kept going using fender hammers, which kept the shape going, but beat the hell out of the metal itself.

I reset the mallet head and did some more on it tonite, adding a more pleasing shape.

I have a feeling that the last part of shaping is going to be the toughest, but overall, I'm not too disappointed. The pin mallet is light, but it does move the metal, and the rounded plastic end leaves no marks, and neither does the wooden end, since it's laminated rock maple.

My stump and mallet-

Total investment
Pin= $5.00
Epoxy= $5.99
Handle= $3.99
Stump= Free
Old 06-16-2009, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Rob, make a ball bat hammer. You'll like it a lot better.

http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showt...ghlight=hammer

Is a thread that talks about it.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:07 PM

Default Looking good

Rob
The bowl is looking good for a first attempt had a look at the other pic in your album I'd say try and knock it a bit smoother in the bottom on your stump then have ago at plannishing it. The shape is looking quite good from what i can see ( but i am blind as a bat).Not quite sure how to plannish by hand myself all i seem to do is make alot of noise then end up either stretching the metal a load more or dinging the **** out of it have to say i cheat and run everything through my ewheel.
CHEERS
Old 06-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Every time I walk by the new shrinker I pick up the bowl and work on it a while...then I noticed that it was really getting vertical on the edges.

Just a LITTLE work with a slapper to put things in shape and flatten the bottom a bit and here we are:

Bowl1.jpg

This is nothing really...no attempt to make it pretty just brute force shaping.

Bowl2.jpg

I've never taken thumbnail dies this far before...mainly because of interference issues with the machine frame. This frame is actually only 5" deep at the tool holder so I can get anything larger than 5" diameter over the tool holder.

Useless part but fun experiment.

Bowl3.jpg
Old 06-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Nice one, Kerry!

I have one like that from when I was tuning my first set of thumbnail dies. For the last 4 years, I've used it to hold my spare change. When it gets full, I make a trip to the bank

Rob, good progress so far! I agree with Kerry, make a ball bat hammer and you'll likely be much happier with it. Kerry isn't a heavy hammer guy either, so don't be concerned about it being too heavy to handle. I, on the other hand, have an affinity for heavier hammers - but not so heavy that I get worn out just picking the darned thing up. As David Gardiner says, "Heavy hammers make light work".

Tim D.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the support, guys..

What I need right now is a post dolly. I have small hand-held dollies, but I like having a stable surface to hammer against. I started planishing the edges by wedging the hand dolly between two pieces of wood in my vice, but they move too much for my liking.
I like hand planishing, I think.. I wouldn't want to do it all day, but there's something neat about turning it into a smooth, hand made piece that is kinda neat.

I cut a smaller divot in my stump and was able to do a little more precise shrinking, and stretched out the bottom some more.

Right now, I'm stuck between being impatient for good tools, and not knowing what I need- But, Dutch's meet will give me a chance to play and see different tools in action, and I'll have a much better idea of what kind of quality I need as opposed to what I can afford.

I'll post pics tmorrow..
Old 06-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingWong View Post
what kind of quality I need as opposed to what I can afford.
Don't be afraid to ask about that here as well!

I can fully recommend the hammers from Dagger Tools. They are as good as any other hammers I have, run about the middle of the price range, and required no dressing. My Martin hammers required a bit of dressing to kill the sharp edges and the face profile, as delivered, was only ok. The finish on the Daggers was actually much better!

For post dollies.....got a Harbor Freight store nearby? As much as I hate suggesting them, the post dollies they sell are decent and darn cheap too! You'll still probably want to do some sanding to improve the surface finish. Check out their door skinning set too. The hammer is useful (though it doesn't see a LOT of use in my hands) the slapper is passable and the dollies get used a lot. If it isn't too big of a budget hit, the dollies in the door skin set can get shanks welded to them to use as post dollies or clamp in the vise too!

HF also has a fairly heavy dinging hammer that they sell separately. It's a good knock around tool for doing the rough stuff. Just grind that pick end to a dull knob so you aren't enticed into trying to use it on something you care about! For the price, it wouldn't be a heartbreak to take a grinder to a coupe of those hammers to make special purpose tools either.

Just a few random thoughts. I've been comtemplating puttting together a hammer thread based on the stuff I have aquired over the past few years.....just haven't found the time to do it. I'd really like to be able to combine the time spent going over the hammers with getting some actual work done on my truck!

Tim D.