All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Beginner Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-21-2013, 02:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2014

Default patches

Dont forget that some you should have a close look at complicated pressing details to see if they can be saved. if the inside surface of that inner guard section was OK you can spot blast any surface rust around that pressing detail and just weld in sections around it to restore the flat area.

I have a NOS inner guard we are saving for a Monaro project. the bolt holes that attach the front clip to the firewall have not yet been drilled. As far as I can see they fit up the front clip, drill a self tapping screw into the outside to secure the inner guard then drill all the bolt holes thru from the inside of the car.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug M View Post
Rowan,

Those seat brackets both cracked in the same place. You might consider whether anything might be done to redesign so that crack won't reform.

Just a thought.... If you're going to repair it and it has a failing do you need to rebuild a known failing?
Hi Doug, Yeah the seat mechanisms were in pretty poor shape and had transferred all the support weight to the side plate covers causing them to crack. I have some new seat mechs and will be making sure they are all shimmed up nice and solid before re-installing the covers!

I love to be able to hit things with a hammer and make it better rather than than worse!!
Old 11-22-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Metalshapers Ltd View Post
Dont forget that some you should have a close look at complicated pressing details to see if they can be saved. if the inside surface of that inner guard section was OK you can spot blast any surface rust around that pressing detail and just weld in sections around it to restore the flat area.

I have a NOS inner guard we are saving for a Monaro project. the bolt holes that attach the front clip to the firewall have not yet been drilled. As far as I can see they fit up the front clip, drill a self tapping screw into the outside to secure the inner guard then drill all the bolt holes thru from the inside of the car.
Yeah that's what I was planning to do with the more complex parts,if I can save them I will! I got a little over zealous with my first section I cut out!
I'm also looking at a donor wagon and ute for some rear sections as the body line matches the Monaro's.
I'm jealous if your NOS inner guard!! Don't come across them very often these days!!

I love to be able to hit things with a hammer and make it better rather than than worse!!
Old 12-18-2013, 10:30 PM

Hi Rowan, those monaro seat hinge covers are a very puny arrangement arn't they. It seems that they break because people put too much weight on the seat back when getting in and out of the back seat. They are not available now either, not that I know of.
In one of your post you passed coment on how you cut the door post brace when cutting the flutes-gills-vents-call them what you will. I have a pair of old shabby fronts, one original and the other with a weld-in panel. I was quoted a price of $75 a slot to press by a guy who has a set of dies.This seams a bit exxy to me. Are the originals drilled and slit first??
Hope you get your new shed soon, I have just a little garden shed to work in.
regards ray
Old 12-20-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond j View Post
Hi Rowan, those monaro seat hinge covers are a very puny arrangement arn't they. It seems that they break because people put too much weight on the seat back when getting in and out of the back seat. They are not available now either, not that I know of.
In one of your post you passed coment on how you cut the door post brace when cutting the flutes-gills-vents-call them what you will. I have a pair of old shabby fronts, one original and the other with a weld-in panel. I was quoted a price of $75 a slot to press by a guy who has a set of dies.This seams a bit exxy to me. Are the originals drilled and slit first??
Hope you get your new shed soon, I have just a little garden shed to work in.
regards ray
Hi Ray, Those seat hinge cavers ARE flimsy, you're right on with your description of failure, so much flex in those old seats and all the pressure ends up on those poor thin covers. You can buy repro sets but they are around the $600-700 mark so I thought I'd have a crack at repairing mine first before emptying my already anorexic wallet! haha
I'm not sure if the original flutes were drilled and slotted first, I think from the looks of the radius on the slot there is definitely a small slot cut or punched out before or during the pressing. I bought two of the weld in panels to install in my two Kingswood guards, the accidental cut I made was from slicing the hole for the weld in panel and going too deep with the grinder. $75 dollars a slot does sound a little expensive, as there is no materials involved in pressing it would only be labour they are charging you for, and that would equate to about an hour per flute in my mind, which seems a little high... I may be wrong tho, there could be more involved than just pressing each one. I did toy with the idea of having some dies made to press my own but I couldn't warrant the cost compared to the $50 a side for weld in panels..and the fact that I would probably end up too busy pressing flares for other people rather than working on my car! haha I'm already flat out making plastic kick panels with speaker mounts for HKTGs as I thought it would make a bit of pocket money for my build, and it kind snowballed out of control with people messaging me all the time as to when I will have some more made!

Old 12-20-2013, 04:17 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2012, Jan 2013, Oct 2013

Looks like you do good work on your diffrent projects!
Thanks for posting and Im sure that this kind of tasks is the most common jobs for most of us

Keep hammering!

https://www.facebook.com/metalman.sweden
Old 12-22-2013, 06:53 PM

Hello Rowan, weldin patches are $88 each now, thats up here in Qld. I think I will probably repair the daggy old original guards. Right now I am rebuilding a front cross member to drop in and am on thetrack of a subframe to rebuild, I shudder to think what the original is like inside those box sections on the bulkhead. This car has spent most of its life on the sunshine coast and I know the plenum leaks bad in both corners.
ray
Old 12-23-2013, 03:16 AM

Default monaro guards

Hi years ago when I was an apprentice I did a panel beating course at trade school .One of the guys in the class put the Monaro flutes in a kingswood guard by drilling a hole at the top and bottom of where each flute was meantto go and cutting the strip out between the holes with a jigsaw. He then used a hammer and dolly to make the rest off the flute came out pretty good and no distortion to deal with from welding .
Old 12-23-2013, 06:29 PM

Peter D, I have been told of that being done, also of using a hardwood female mold, there is not really much shape in them, they are quite shallow but wide.I might try that on some scrap door panels I have. As stated before, my workshop is just a garden shed, no room for any machinery.Should be out there now and not on this great timesink but hey it's christmas and time for some beer.