All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Motage View Post
... I have been documenting the build in an effort to get a magazine article.
Where is it documented Mike?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:59 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

Kerry, I have been doing it myself with a digital camera and more recently a Sony videocam. This Jag was nearly a barn find. It had been sitting behind a house under a tarp for 20yrs. Someone had painted it Sunkist orange with a roller and brushes, I think over top of 4 other colors. Previous owners had poorly installed a 302 Ford 2bbl with a C4 trans. I don't think it was ever driven like that. The drivers side floor was totally seperated. I had always planned to use just the body shell, so extending the fenders was always the plan. By the time I had the frame and chassis complete, tires and mockup wheels mounted and the fenders done in foam, it was apparent I needed to move the doorskins outward to blend the fenders. I started taking pics building the chassis and videoed the body mods begining with chopping the top, the foam work and clay. I am in the process of building the buck now. My plan is to be ready to start shaping steel mid-spring. It's been 2 yrs from purchase, I figure maybe 3 more to total completion.

Last edited by Mike Motage; 04-05-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:22 AM

Mark & John,

I am undoubtly from the Muscle car generation, big V-8s etc. However my 1st recollection was a D-type slot car at about age 12-13. I have always thought the Jags had the absolute best styling. This Jag I have is a 2+2. And as time has progressed, some of the odd angles are noticed. I spent nearly a full year with hand sketches, measuring tapes and pics to determine how Jaguar might build that car today to compete with a Viper or Z06. The ultimate goal is to maintain the Jaguar, but resolve the odd spots. Namely the overpowering greenhouse, the humpy C pillar area, narrow stance, the sinking beltline at the B pillar and how the body sides rolls under to quickly.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:45 AM

Cool Project Mike.
Here's my powertrain thoughts........
V-12 Very Cool but also Equally if not more Pricey than an LS motor.
I noticed your just above me in MI, so think about this...
The way Cars rust Out around here and get Totalled in winter junkyards are gonna be filling up. The Size and weight of the Jag considered why not go with a 5.3 out of any 98 and Up GMC or Chevy Truck?
Lingenfelters here locally are BOOMING with Turbo and Supercharged 5.3's in Everything. Even Uncle Sam sends the Tahoe's here for Bolt on Upgrades.
I have one of these in my 5960lb Avalalanche, it has a 4wd Tranny and Highway Gears and Bone Stock has more than enough Power to Toast the rear Posi Trac.
Get one in a 2wd version out of a Pick Up and possibly use the Tranny as well.
Best of Luck on this Very Cool Project.
Decatur IN, 46733

Phone 260-301-9034
Fax 260-724-2236

Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 AM

What ever engine engine is used, it must be out of the norm or at least look different/disguised. No carbs, as the induction must fit under the bonnet. Big power lumps don't look right on it.

And definitely not a Jag -Am. It must retain the Jaguar, impress the Brits, that is the challenge.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Motage View Post
It must retain the Jaguar, impress the Brits, that is the challenge.
In that case Mike, you've succeeded, I'm loving what I see already. Subscribed to this thread.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Member MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2013

Be best to do some research before you commit to one of those Jaguar V-12's. They are notorious as a poor design and they didn't hold up. Plus they lacked the power that the old XK sixes had. The fastest street Jaguars ever made were the 1965 and '66 E Types with the 4.2 engine. I had a '66, (as well as a 1959 XK 150). That '66 XK E was stupendous. From 0 to 60 mph was not that impressive, but from 60 to 150 mph was something to behold.

A 4.2 XK six with some Weber carbs and a blower would be my choice if I could get out of the sculpture studio long enough to build a car.

When I die heaven can wait, I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

My sculpture web page http://www.fantaciworks.com
Old 03-18-2013, 10:16 AM

Slow progress but still moving along.Name:  DSCN1678.jpg
Views: 5045
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  DSCN1667.jpg
Views: 4510
Size:  81.3 KB
Old 03-18-2013, 10:23 AM

At this point a good cleaning of the shop is next. Then onto fore/aft ribs which give the front and rear fascias shapes. I have alot of tweeking the individual ribs to provide the exact shape of the clay. The plan is to be shaping metal early May.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:45 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2009

Mike Early jags were traditionally inline 6 .there is a large amount of speed parts for the early engines.If you want something different consider a late model Jaguar AJ16 engine .They were the last of the jag inline 6 engines.They were available in normally aspirated or supercharged.The super charged versions were rated at 320 horsepower stock.There is a lot left in them and they respond well to some free breathing exhaust and tuning.I see these engines cheap all the time.Here is a picture of an AJ16 that I am building for a 1957 Jag 140 roadster project car.The car has a custom chassis and suspension and the customer wanted something different.It is a 1996 4.0 litre NA version.The throttle bodies are from a BMW M3 that I bought cheap off ebay.They are a perfect match for the oval shape intake ports as far as size and shape.I milled the intake plate to adapt them and drilled the throttle linkage shaft from some 12mm bar stock.The valve cover is originally a painted magnesium part that can be polished to look the part.The only problem with using this engine is there is pretty much nothing available as far as speed equipment,You will need to build it yourself or have it custom made
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1090.jpg (72.9 KB, 1265 views)