All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-25-2017, 11:57 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Worked out well. Might become handles for lifting the hood as well.
Marcus: you have a keen eye and are very intuitive about practical matters. These scoops in fact will serve as the primary handle to lift the hood the first couple of inches. The original GTOs have a leather belt/strap at the back of the hood to ensure the hood stays closed. That strap also serves as a hood lift. I don't plan to include these straps as the screw holes in the cowl are just one more way for water to make it's way into the interior and I like the "cleaner" look without them. So the hood scoops will be the only handle left.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:13 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinke View Post
The GTO has some rather unique hood scoops that function to provide fresh air to the car’s interior. The location and clear plexiglass material is what makes them unique. Here’s what they look like on car 3451GT.

As a word of caution for those who want to attempt this themselves, if you put too much heat into the plexiglass, it can form bubbles inside. So, the trick is to find the “Goldilocks” heat zone where it’s pliable enough to form but not so hot that the material gets damaged. Bottom line, I still need to make two of these if I want them both to be crystal clear all over.

I've always enjoyed seeing how Ferrari used plex on their earlier cars, TDF, SWB, TR 59 etc etc ....

Name:  TR59 copy.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  29.9 KB

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:16 PM

Here is from the 250LM (Scaglietti coachbuilder same as GTO). Difference is they put a screen mesh within and painted the mesh body color. I found the screen material in McMaster Carr. Going to do another set upcoming and making the molds now for my own project. Perk of the screen material is to keep big stuff from getting sucked within.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:50 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

The GTO's and the 250/275 LM's used some similar parts because Enzo was trying to homologate, unsuccessfully. I believe these little scoops are one example of that.
Name:  250LM r_n _26.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  40.0 KB
(This car was brought back from wreckage in 1977. s/n5843.)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:13 PM

That is the ONLY air intake for the cockpit. One sits so for forward in the LM that the door sliding windows does not help much with ventilation except for acting as an air exit. I've spent more than my share of time in one of these as a kid (cross country trip from San Diego to Watkins Glen and back in late Summer plus numerous trips to Julian for pie with a blasts down into the desert on the backroads) and later in a few that we restored. 250GTO is a much more civilized vehicle in comparison to these (and for road use) and more forgiving on the racetrack -- but I'd take a 250LM over a 250GTO any day of the week.

There were three versions of scoops between the '64 GTO and 250LM's. Scoop with open hole; Scoop with mesh welded into the opening; Scoop with a screen that installs from beneath and has four nuts for the air vent fasteners through the top.

With my own 250LM inspired vehicle that I'm building, I'm integrating air conditioning as it is needed (and for Arizona). I can't remember if Joel has air conditioning integrated or not into his C5GTO?
Old 10-11-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
With my own 250LM inspired vehicle that I'm building, I'm integrating air conditioning as it is needed (and for Arizona). I can't remember if Joel has air conditioning integrated or not into his C5GTO?
Yes, the C5GTO also has air conditioning. I live in the hot part of California and so it's quite needed. The air scoops on the hood will just send air down over the exhaust headers instead of sending to drivers compartment.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:26 PM

Post Cup holder

I’ve been busy preparing the GTO body work for paint. I haven’t been posting progress pics as this type thing is not that special. I’ve been also tending to some other small things when I need a break from the sanding, etc.

I bought a nice billet aluminum cup holder a couple of years ago and decided to install it. First up was determining a spot to put it that would be in reach but also clear all the wiring, cross bracing and the A/C unit inside the dash.

After cutting a rectangular hole, it was just a matter of inserting the unit and securing it with a couple of screws.

A quick test to make sure it opens properly.

Now I don’t ever drink while driving nor do I think it should ever be done. But it was the end of the day and a cold beverage in the garage seemed to be in order. So, I put the newly installed cup holder to the test prior to relaxing with the beverage

Old 10-20-2017, 05:41 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

That's an excellent cup holder.
I got to find some of those for my project.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 11-14-2017, 08:03 PM

Post Defroster vents

I’ve made more progress on the dash with a focus on defroster ducts and openings. The A/C & heater unit I put in the car has 2 ports for defrosters and of course, there’s very little extra room in the dash for running duct work.

Given the lack of free space, I decided it best to mockup vent placement. Cardboard and masking tape temporarily hold the vent ducts in place. In addition, I wanted to make sure there would be airflow over the entire inside of the windshield before cutting holes in the dash.

I then cut holes, fabricated mounting plates and mounted ducts to dash. A test fit told me the passenger side duct did not have the needed clearance. I made clearance by cutting off a part of the A/C unit support bracket and cutting off a corner of the duct.

The duct was made whole again by filling the hole with a chunk of black drain pipe ABS plastic. The plastic was welded/melted in place using a soldering iron.

I wanted the defrost vent surrounds to be clean looking and functional. I first cut blanks from Al 3003 .063 and then add some shape to them on bead roller with combination of rounded die and roller skate wheel.

I plan to paint the dash with wrinkle black paint. First I need to cut more holes for A/C vents and install the radio. All projects for another day.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:05 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Nice result that Joel.

Took me quite a while to sort mine out!
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.