All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-10-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
and then to my big air-propane weed burner.
I've been thinking about buying a weed burner to attack the weeds that pop up between the cracks in the parking lot at my building. Now, I have another reason to buy another toy. A torch on a stick has to be fun, maybe not as much as a chainsaw on a stick, but fun just the same.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:15 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default re:weed burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeymonkey View Post
I've been thinking about buying a weed burner to attack the weeds that pop up between the cracks in the parking lot at my building. Now, I have another reason to buy another toy. A torch on a stick has to be fun, maybe not as much as a chainsaw on a stick, but fun just the same.
The best one I bought - gave away the others (toys) - is a Western unit, brass and steel. I took the orifice out and opened it up with a little wire drill, about 15% on dia. Now it makes heat, light, and sound - with a 3ft flame.

You can get an idea from the photo, annealing a 6ft bronze gong.
Gong anneal.jpg
(in my album "a gong show"....)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:50 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Used a Victor torch for years and then tried the pistol grip Dillon torch which welded nicer but put my hand close to the heat and it always felt a bit awkward to me, I was so used to conventional style torches. Lately I’ve been using a Meco Aviation Jet with Kent’s extra flexible hoses. The gas valves are spaced 180 degrees apart so you can lay it down on it’s back while burning and with Kent’s hoses it never rolls over…… kind of a fire safety feature. It also takes a cutting head and is pretty light with it’s aluminum body. To me the only drawback is it isn’t manufactured anymore so tips and parts have to come from eBay. Damned shame, I’d love to buy a rosebud type tip for it. ~ John Buchtenkirch

P.S. When I first got Kent’s hoses I thought they wouldn’t hold up, they just looked so small. Now it’s 8 or 10 years latter and still no problems .
Old 01-11-2017, 11:11 AM

I'm going to go over to the welding supply place in town and price oxygen and acetylene tanks. What size would everyone recommend? I know they have oxygen in R (20CF), Q (80 CF) ,K (244 CF) bottles, and perhaps others. What size would you recommend?

Also, how do you transport larger bottles? Currently all I have is a Q argon and a R CO2 mixed gas. These are small enough that they strap in easily in the pickup. I just wonder about the larger bottles and transporting them.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:25 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Do you want to lease tanks or buy them? Do you weld enough to justify leasing? Do you want to exchange them outright when filling (small tanks, fast and easy) or go through mandatory inspection process with larger owned tanks every time you fill them? Talk with your supplier about your plans and their guidelines. I hear some people exchange larger tanks through a friend or employer's lease contract but I don't.

As mentioned, here in SC 40cf tanks are the largest that can be owned and exchanged outright so they best fit the way I weld. Last time I checked, 40cf tanks are approx $200 new and I've bought them used from $40-$100. They do expire at 10? yrs so if you buy used check the manufacture dates and rotate ones you might have. Duplicates extend your welding ability. After the last time at RockHillWill's, now I want to set up a pair of my spare tanks like he's done -with a dedicated rosebud torch for annealing to save time when working.

Same with transport- your welding supplier can tell you what is legal in your area like capped tanks, no regulators and specifics about what is both safe and allowed. A simple corral, crate or rack to use in your truck keeps tanks, truck and you safer, no matter what size tanks.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:47 AM

I stopped by the welding supply house yesterday. Like the argon and mixed CO2 mixed gas tanks I have from them you buy the tank and exchange it when emptied. They take care of tank maintenance. I actually exchanged a CO2 mixed gas cylinder that had been expired for about 5 years without issue.

I have to decide between a Q (80 CF) or a K (244 CF) for the oxygen and a #2 or #3 acetylene. I'm probably going to go with the Q and #2. The tanks are only $180 each plus the gas fill. If I decide to go bigger in the future, they will credit the purchase price of the smaller tank to the purchase of a larger tank. But, if I find the tanks limiting, I'd likely just buy a second set.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I stopped by the welding supply house yesterday. Like the argon and mixed CO2 mixed gas tanks I have from them you buy the tank and exchange it when emptied. They take care of tank maintenance. I actually exchanged a CO2 mixed gas cylinder that had been expired for about 5 years without issue.

I have to decide between a Q (80 CF) or a K (244 CF) for the oxygen and a #2 or #3 acetylene. I'm probably going to go with the Q and #2. The tanks are only $180 each plus the gas fill. If I decide to go bigger in the future, they will credit the purchase price of the smaller tank to the purchase of a larger tank. But, if I find the tanks limiting, I'd likely just buy a second set.
That is a good size and easy to transport.

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Good info- your post made me want to check with a different supply house than I've always used since opening the studio. They handle larger tanks up to 125CF for purchase and exchange outright, so glad to know there's a better option. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:32 PM

Default Gas bottles, how to acquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post
Good info- your post made me want to check with a different supply house than I've always used since opening the studio. They handle larger tanks up to 125CF for purchase and exchange outright, so glad to know there's a better option. Thanks.
note: after I had my account at the local welding supply for a while, and had a few bottles on lease with them, I bought an old gas rig for the bottles. Tossed the old stiff hoses and the cheap regs, gave away the torch and parts, and took the bottles in to be filled and changed to my account. The deal to transfer the bottles over to my account was just a basic charge to list them ($35) and fill them. Done. They assume I'm reputable and not out filching gas rigs .......

Old 01-12-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
note: after I had my account at the local welding supply for a while, and had a few bottles on lease with them, I bought an old gas rig for the bottles. Tossed the old stiff hoses and the cheap regs, gave away the torch and parts, and took the bottles in to be filled and changed to my account. The deal to transfer the bottles over to my account was just a basic charge to list them ($35) and fill them. Done. They assume I'm reputable and not out filching gas rigs .......
My projects vary so much that I often go months without ever lighting a torch, so leasing just doesn't fit. Some guys cut and carve stone with a torch (or thermal it to pop off tattle tail tool marks- aka cheating....) but that's not my thing.

This welding shop I've been using has always been good to deal with, but I checked with them again recently about the largest tanks they would sell/swap. Surprised to learn the other shop in town has much different operations when I called this AM.