All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-03-2017, 02:47 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default Ferrari #6885 headed for auction

This 250GTB6/C was built in secret in the Ferrari race shop to beat the Cobras. Despite having a 3 liter engine against the 5 liter Fords, this scaled-down lightweight still held the GT record on the Mulsanne Straight at 192mph, as late as 1985.

6885_4.jpg
6885_5.jpg
6885.jpg

Having no skirts on the pistons and wires for rings, the body used .040, .032 and .025 thickness aluminum, with a full belly pan. It was a 4/5 scale model of a standard 275GTB6/C, with smaller seat-room inside than a 250LM. A Ferrari GTO is large, by comparison.

I metal-finished the whole car for Preston Henn in 1983, with new door skins, various patches, new belly pan, fender flares, and interior panels.
During my stay in his race shop in FL, I learned some interesting history about it and that he was getting offered double money, sight unseen, for what restored GTO's with big race histories were getting, including the Matsuda car, Steve Earle's car, and another GTO restored by Hill and Vaughn. Funny thing, Preston got it from Harley Kluxton for $2500 and did not know its serial # or anything about it - it was just a shabby old GTB. (It's race history was expunged and the car black-balled after the international race organizers caught on that it was a one-off dressed to hide as an Ecurie Francorchamps team car, and it was sold into North America as an unknown, by Luigi Chinetti.

I've been waiting for this car to hit the auction block for some time, because it and the McClure Halley car are likely the top-range collector models, in my opinion.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-in-the-world
(this article is not very well researched.)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:02 PM

Kent when was it built to race cobras? When it did race how did it do? Do you know when it set that record? I was just wondering because I am building a cobra Daytona coupe. It was built because the original 289 cobras didn't have enough top speed on tracks like that. I know you worked on one or more or the original Cobra Daytona coupes.

Mark
Old 05-03-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastuart View Post
Kent when was it built to race cobras? When it did race how did it do? Do you know when it set that record? I was just wondering because I am building a cobra Daytona coupe. It was built because the original 289 cobras didn't have enough top speed on tracks like that. I know you worked on one or more or the original Cobra Daytona coupes.

Mark
Hi Mark,

s/n #6885 was built for the 1965 racing year. It was not a top contender against the Cobras for overheating reasons - hence the big ratty hole in the nose. Record on the Mulsanne was placed in 1965. Car was banned in 1966.

Yes, I restored Daytona s/n CSX 2601 and helped out building the front clip for a Dayt. replicar later on. I also restored a few of the plain old 289 cars.

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:24 PM

Thanks Kent. I read the article in your link. Any chance you have any good detail photos from then you restored CSX 2601.

Mark
Old 05-03-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastuart View Post
Thanks Kent. I read the article in your link. Any chance you have any good detail photos from then you restored CSX 2601.

Mark
Yes, a few. We had a timeframe on that job, so not much time for photo-ops .....

csx2601.jpg
2601_2.jpg

Old 05-03-2017, 08:47 PM

Guys that's not just any Daytona, that's THE Daytona that made them famous! Bondurant drove that to the FIA Championship in 1965. Awesome stuff Mr. White. Along with your immense talent you've been really fortunate (at least in my view) to work on some of these legendary machines. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post
Guys that's not just any Daytona, that's THE Daytona that made them famous! Bondurant drove that to the FIA Championship in 1965. Awesome stuff Mr. White. Along with your immense talent you've been really fortunate (at least in my view) to work on some of these legendary machines. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Thanks Chris.
I tell people that you can't plan for your career projects. You take what comes and you deal with the problems as best you can. I was very very lucky to attract the customers and the jobs - although I did turn significant ones away - for having demands I could not meet.

A man has his limits.
(I turned CSX2601 down, twice. But then we came to terms I could deal with.)

Old 05-04-2017, 12:48 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Great story Kent - thanks for sharing. Superb looking car.