All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-20-2018, 08:06 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2016

First, thanks to all for the well wishes. I'm getting around OK, just moving a little slower. I couldn't lay around any longer so I got back to work. I started on the right rear shock mount. I cut clearance in the floor to get access to the frame C notch. Same as the left side and installed the lower end of the shock on the suspension.
Next, I fabricated the upper shock mount plate and two gussets. I'll recheck clearance and position and tack them in tomorrow.

Name:  1187.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  49.4 KB

Name:  1188.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  68.9 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Dang Jack, that could have been REALLY bad. I'm thankful it wasn't worse.

I once had a 3 car wreck in my shop and nearly 4 cars. It involved a 57 Imperial with a pushbutton transmission and a remote starter switch. A friend was playing around with the pushbuttons without my knowledge and left it in gear. I hit the remote start switch to turn the motor to top dead center. As luck would have it, it started in drive and drove into the front of a 61 Imperial with me frantically trying to find the neutral button. (no park in 57, this was before PNRDL became standard in 65 and killed the pushbutton transmissions). I found reverse only realize that the car was now backing toward the shop door and my then brand new pickup and the wife's Envoy. I'm hanging in the widow when the car went through the shop door and scraped me off. It lightly sideswiped a 64 Imperial with me in hot pursuit.

As soon as it cleared the door, I was able to catch it, dive through the window, and stomp the emergency brake. On MOPARS of that era, the emergency brake was the real deal, a 6" drum brake attached to the end of the cast iron torqueflite. It stopped the car before I found the neutral.

I wasn't hurt other than some scrapes and bruises. Scared the hell out of me though.

Oh there was no damage to any of the cars. The Imperials of that era had REAL bumpers.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:48 PM

I was really surprised to learn from the ER staff how common this type of accident is. Y'all be careful out there.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:57 PM

I cut away the sheet metal on the right rear to get access for that shock mount. I made the right shock mounting bracket from 1/8" plate using the templates from the left side and welded it to the C notch on the frame.

Name:  1189.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  41.5 KB

Next, I used the templates from the left side closure panels (flipped over) and installed them on the right side. When the upper shock plate is bolted in, it will tighten down on the bracket and the closure which will function like a rigid body/frame mount. These C notches are pretty tall and they tend to make the rear half of the frame less rigid. Along with this shock mount/body mount I will also add a cross brace at the rear corners of the C notch to help eliminate sway or flexing on the back half of the frame. I won't be able to add the cross brace until I drop the rear suspension out. There's still a few things left to do before I do that. I need to finish off the trunk floor and make the air bag mounts first.

Name:  1190.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  56.3 KB

Finally, I finished off the interior portion and put seam sealer over all my seams.

Name:  1191.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  55.5 KB

Old 05-23-2018, 05:09 AM

Default Fantastic Work

Thanks for sharing your build with all of us. I would like to share a technique of appling seam sealer and that is to use a 1" brush dipper in paint (as a lubrication) to smooth out the sealant and to push it into all the voids and gaps. I use this a lot for the 60/70s cars, especially in the trunk. With a little effort you can make it look like the factory (almost). Most likely you are going to be the only one who sees it or cares but that's the type of detailed work I like to give my customers.

Regards
Rust Reaper

Last edited by rustreapers; 05-23-2018 at 05:10 AM. Reason: spelling