All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-13-2020, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default Sad news...Jim Spradley

Just received news that Jim Spradley passed away last night.

Those of us who have been around a while remember Jim from the shows and events where he demonstrated and sold his Henrob/Cobra torches. He was a great guy and would help anyone. A few years ago he lost is son Jacob in a terrible car crash. It was really hard on him and was weighing on him every time we spoke.

Like many friends in the community, we didn't speak in person that often but when we did the years fell away and we picked up right where we left off.

He hosted a metal shaping event at his shop in Peilon South Carolina some years back. That is where I did the first panels on 'Monique".

Monique1.jpg

A bunch of folks worked with him widening fenders on his 56 Ford Pickup at that event and others.

He attended most Dixieland events my shop and many others. He was a fixture in Oblong for years but I don't know if attended recently.

Here is a link to a Henrob video he posted back in '08: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8SS1jzYArc

I am shocked and saddened by this news. We've lost a good friend and a good man. Damn!

Godspeed Jim!
Old 08-13-2020, 12:55 PM

I just saw that Kerry...Jim was always happy and fun to be with, even after losing Jacob...he was a friend and we still talked after all these years. Going to miss him!
Old 08-13-2020, 07:52 PM

That is sad news indeed. He was so much fun to be around. I will miss him.

i guess that I knew Jim longer than most. Jim would have his trailer set up at Turkey Rod Run in Daytona. I loved the flea market/vendor area the most and my wife and I stopped at Jim's booth and watched his demo. When he cut what looked like a gear rack with that Henrob, I didn't have to say a word. My wife saw the look on my face and said Happy birthday and got out her credit card. I made it a point to look up Jim every time we went. On one of those visits, I was talking to him about metalshaping and I extended an invitation for him to join us at the Metalshapers meet at Randy Ferguson's home/shop in Robinson IL. The fun part for me was to see how much fun he was having and how he was a perfect match for such an unusual group of folks. That was his first exposure to metalshaping. He and Rob loaded up one of Randy's kittens (Tucker) and gave her a new home.

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com

Last edited by mr.c; 08-13-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:20 AM

He was a very talented guy. It was always good to see him and talk with him at the early metal shaping events. He will be missed.
Mike