All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default Door Curtains

I've lusted after some door curtains for years but they're expensive and I've got a bunch of doors I'd like to seal off. Currently, I use blue tarps and I'm always getting wrapped up in them. They work but are a pain in the rear.

A few months ago I was visiting a friend and he had some. When I commented on them, he said, "You know what they are don't you?....Clear carpet runners cut into strips." DUH!

What a great idea!

I wasn't able to find any locally that didn't have the spikes on the end but found these on Amazon.

n 013.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$45 for 3x50' with free shipping. How many doors it will cover depends on your door size. I did about a 3" overlap with 12" wide strips. One box did 2 1/2 4x8 openings.

This is what they look like hung. I just stapled them in place for now. Ultimately, I'll probably do a more robust fastening...if they ever come off. It's pretty neat, you just walk right through them.

n 012.jpg

They do a really good job of keeping the AC in the room and letting light out without having to slide doors of fight with a tarp.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:05 PM

They are pretty effective at keeping out flying insects too. Lots of shops use them here for that.

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 07-09-2013, 12:17 AM

Default Great tip

I was just thinking about this issue today. Clean areas vs dirty areas. Wonder how fire proof they are?

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
...Wonder how fire proof they are?
Got to be better than a blue tarp but they are plastic. I'll be grinding and welding next to the door shown. I'll let you know if I burn the shop down.

Seriously, I have a scrap and will see if it sustains a flame. I expect it will.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Metal Shaper of the Month, November 2012

super cool!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
.... Wonder how fire proof they are?
I held a lighter to a piece for a good while before I saw a flame which went out when I removed the lighter. Smelled pretty bad though and I'm sure with enough heat it might sustain flame and produce some nasty fumes. I'm not at all concerned about it catching fire from grinding or welding sparks however. At least no more than the OSB wood paneling on my walls.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:30 AM

Default Past-O-mat

Hello people, looking at this thread it is likley that the mat is made of PVC (Polyvinylchloride) the stuff is inherintly flame retardant. It was developed to make elecrical cable insulation during the war when rubber was very limited in supply. When it burns it produces hydrochloric acid vapour - acid fumes kill fire so it is immediately self extingushing which is very handy in a cable.

You can test for PVC but rubbing a red hot loop of copper wire on the plastic then quickly dropping the wire back into the flame, a green flash tels youi chlorine is present. This is a handy way of identifying different plastics from PVC without having a chemical laboratory to hand.

PVC is ideal for worshop curtians and has been used for years. I will be using this stuff now you have identifed it for me. Also am a fan of anthing-O-matic, we have a fan club over here and this stuff is now in the hall of fame. for more -O-matic action please see Wallis & Grommet.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:31 AM

Thanks Kerry This might go on the back of the midget trailer to keep the air conditioning in this summer.

Jere
Teaching The Fundamentals of Metal Shaping
www.jerekirkpatrick.com

All tools are a hammer except the chisel.....That's a screwdriver.