All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default How cold is too cold?

Ok, before anyone else says it, I'm a wuss.

That said, it was 17 frigging degrees here this morning with a high below freezing. Chilly by most standards.

My shop is poorly insulated...about R12 in the ceiling and nothing in the walls...drafty too.

I don't keep the heat on when I'm not there because it would cost a fortune.

I have three sources of heat: A vented 120,000 BTU forced air gas furnace (much of the heat goes up the vent pipe), an 60,000 BTU infrared gas heater hung from the ceiling in the lift room, and a heat pump which is really almost worthless if the ambient temperature is under 35 degrees.

This morning, I went out and turned on the infrared and gas furnace and came in for breakfast. An hour later it was up to 50 degrees in the shop but EVERYTHING I touched was still very cold. After an hour or so I gave it up and came in the house.

Of course, not HAVING to work makes the difference between staying in the shop and deciding to take a day off.

All that aside, at what temperature will you work in your shop/garage?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post

All that aside, at what temperature will you work in your shop/garage?
It's always 68 degrees and sunny at C.A.R.S.

Of course I spend about $2500.00 a year on L.P. gas

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

Old 12-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Administrator

In the frozen area of south Mississippi where I live the temperature usually isn't too cold to work. I have worked in my shop even when the temperature get in the mid forties, sometimes I even have to wear a light jacket.

BTW, you get no days off when you retire.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:00 PM
MetalShaper of the month 07-12

I learned a long time ago that insulation was the best bag for the buck I could spend on temperature control. So about ten years ago, I insulated my small shop, then 6 years ago when I added on, I did it again. Of course I burn wood out there, but have been working without it up until the first of the month. Lowest was right at 50 deg inside, but this morning, it's was 21 deg outside and the shop was 64 before I started the fire.

But, Kerry, you're right about the cold lingering. All that concrete and steel takes a long time to warm back up. Even if I'm not working out there, there's a fire if it's cold outside. I recall pre insulation when I just couldn't take it, wrapped up in so many clothes I could hardly move. And I had the same wood burner going. But I gave up back then when the inside temp was over 100 deg's too.

I watch the forecasts and may burn all night in the winter or open it up in the summer and run fans to help control the inside temp.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:12 PM

You're not a wuss Kerry, I'm a wuss. That's why I live hundreds of miles south of the "Deep South" where it's fairly warm (I'm about 600 miles south of you). It was around freezing here this morning and right now it's 52°. It was 58° in the shop this morning and I had a sweat shirt on until noon. I would decline to work if it was in the 40's inside. I'd have to fire up the meager heat we have here and wait for it to warm up.

This is too cold for me. It much rather see highs in the 60's as a minimum. We get into the 20's here for the low but it's rare and it does a lot of damage.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:36 PM
MetalShaper of the Month February 2021

Default cold

It got up to almost 20 degrees today. My shop is well insulated so it only took a half hour to bring it upto 65. I hate the cold and would not stay in the shop if I was`nt comfortable. And you are right about the equipment holding the cold.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:54 PM

My wife's Christmas present to me this year is an insulated ceiling in my shop. I've still got to get the walls insulated, but that'll have to wait until summer

On days like to today, it's colder in my shop than outside.

-Shane
Old 12-14-2010, 05:02 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct. 2019

Don't hate me but this weekend it was 86* here in San Diego. This doesn't happen very often in the winter so don't everyone pack up and move out here.

MGB roadster widened 11.5", Corvette C-4 suspension, 535 hp supercharged LT1 V8, T-56 6 speed.
Pictures here: It goes to Part 6 now
Part 1
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
Part 2
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422
Old 12-14-2010, 05:06 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Default minus 3*

Only -3* this morning high of 13* Keep the shop at 60* over night up to 68* during the day.

Donn't like the cold up here but can't stand the heat & humidity down south.

I can work at 55-60 but I will pay what it costs to be comfortable, & stay healthy.

Ya I'm a wuss tooo!!!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:28 PM

The "new" half of my shop has in-floor radiant heat (hydronic). There really is no "turning the heat down" on the nights or weekends. It is much more efficient to just let it stay at a preset temp.

Once all the cars, booth, tools, etc get up to temp in the fall, the recovery time if I open the door is pretty quick. Just like Kerry's tools stay cold forever, mine stay warm! But like I said... it's not cheap.

Sad thing about living in MN is the negative temps right now and in 6 months I have the A/C on to fight the heat and humidity. Why can't it just be 65 all year round???

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service