All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Heads Up Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-03-2018, 09:04 PM

Default Beverly Shear

Beverly Shear listed under Tools on Craigs list in Huntsville/Decatur (Al), says 4 5/8 blade, $250.00, also states no shipping, Dan
Old 05-04-2018, 03:05 AM

Looks like a Beverly B1 copy?
The tag is wrong and the shape of the casting is different!

If your interested, make sure it is a Beverly, the price seems high for the shape it’s in?

https://bham.craigslist.org/tls/d/sh...578315593.html
Old 05-04-2018, 12:50 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Tag may not be wrong. I bought a B2 in Jan, listed on c/l as a "Ward Mfg" Beverly Shear. Ad showed the prominent rectangular Ward metal tag in same location as that one in the pic. Having a seller's tag or inventory ID tag in this manner is not uncommon. On the other side was a proper arched Beverly Shear tag..... for some reason, they didn't include or even mention that one in the ad. Otherwise it probably would have sold long before I found it.

Ward was a Chicago-based tool company that was one of the 2-3 primary original distributors for Beverly, who is also in Chicago. Like many other distributors, Ward riveted their tag to tools they sold as advertising for equipment not necessarily available to the general public directly from a manufacturer. From my conversations with Beverly, Ward was transitioned/sold around 1991-2 iirc, changed name to AAAsomething, and moved from their original location although they are still in the general Chicago area.

The seller's pics in ad did show other details, such as Kasteel and typical 2B castings numbers on the various parts. Those numbers are all listed on the Beverly site for replacement & service parts, so simple to cross reference. That looks like a B1 to me, which is different than a B2. Maybe it isn't, but if it is it should have some 1B casting numbers on it. It also has the proper older style original Beverly handle with the rounded enclosed end. I don't think the copies have that style handle and years ago, I didn't understand that anyone was copying a Beverly that closely.

You may find the proper arched top Beverly original tag on the back of that shear or at least the two holes where it was attached. Ask for a couple of pics to id & compare casting marks as well. For reference, shipping for mine in Jan from Chicago to SC was around $70. Add the cost to sharpen the blades and figure if it's a fair price for you. It's not a steal but not chinese, either.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:11 AM

It may be a Beverly shear?
I have never seen one with the square tag......also the casting near the outside of the lower shear blade has a sharp transition, unlike a Beverly?

Still maybe the real deal?

I don’t need one, I have a B2, and B3!

Unless I decide I need the B1 to complete the collection?
Old 05-05-2018, 06:17 AM

Okay, just found another picture of an older Beverly shear, the casting looks the same! At some point they may have changed the casting patterns?

Not a bad price if it’s not wore out?