All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Miscellanous products related to metalshaping
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-18-2014, 08:34 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. What I'm hearing is that these vac/blasters aren't very good, don't completely contain the dust, and I still need a tent.

I'm thinking of rolling the rotisserie outside and just soda blasting the sills/rockers. Going outside this time of year is no fun, but the car owner won't stand another bill from the media blaster's shop.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:37 AM

Default Sand blast vac.

I have burned out three Shop vac's trying to catch the sand. One was a Sears, Home Depot and a Lowes. The sand is just to fine. Build the tent. Fred26t
Old 12-19-2014, 01:58 AM

Tent it is. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:54 AM

Default Shop Vac

I've used my large Rigid brand (Home Depot) shop vac with their Stage 5 filter (Hepa) to act as dust collection on my HF blast cabinet for years.

I also tried at one time to drill a hole through an attachment, stuck the sand blast nozzle through there, and blast a spot. Didn't work very well.... Ended up rolling it outside and blasting. Just make sure to tape off everywhere you don't want it to go.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:58 AM

Default Vacum sand blaster

Hello Bill,
about 15 years ago in NJ there was a big push by the local tool sales people to purchase this Vac-blaster it was approx 48" high and 20" round the principle was to take the nozzle and be able to blast a small part and reclaim the sand, while it looked really good on paper, the vac was not strong enough and the blaster was a low pressure unit like in a blaster cabinet they claimed it would keep the dust down and make less on clean up, I did not purchase it people that did were not happy and I found those shops putting the units outside not to be used. Your better off getting a portable tent and go to your local sheet metal workers shop where they do structural steel work and purchase floor grating put very thick Poly sheet the kind used in concrete forms when making a vapor barrier down first put the grates on bikes to elevate the grating about 2 to 3 inch's from the ground, drive the car or put the part on the grate blast it and recycle your sand or media this will also keep the dust down in your tent. The nice thing is you can use either a pressure type blaster or just a gravity type unit

jehammer1952
Old 12-20-2014, 12:16 AM

Sorry , but not to Hijack!
How would one of those Car Cocoons go, with sand blasting?
there great for keeping dust out, so they should be great for keeping dust in.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:27 AM

I just bought a 10x20foot tent because I wanted some room to maneuver around the car. I think the car cocoons are more confining.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:06 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehammer1952 View Post
Hello Bill,
about 15 years ago in NJ there was a big push by the local tool sales people to purchase this Vac-blaster it was approx 48" high and 20" round the principle was to take the nozzle and be able to blast a small part and reclaim the sand, while it looked really good on paper, the vac was not strong enough and the blaster was a low pressure unit like in a blaster cabinet they claimed it would keep the dust down and make less on clean up, I did not purchase it people that did were not happy and I found those shops putting the units outside not to be used. Your better off getting a portable tent and go to your local sheet metal workers shop where they do structural steel work and purchase floor grating put very thick Poly sheet the kind used in concrete forms when making a vapor barrier down first put the grates on bikes to elevate the grating about 2 to 3 inch's from the ground, drive the car or put the part on the grate blast it and recycle your sand or media this will also keep the dust down in your tent. The nice thing is you can use either a pressure type blaster or just a gravity type unit

jehammer1952
+1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What John E posted on the shop blaster is very accurate. At best they kind of worked for small spots on the car’s skin but doing inner rocker panels with many inside corners would be a real stretch, you’d be there a long time and a lot of abrasive would escape the brush head. I was given mine by a disgusted body shop owner and it now sits in my mom’s basement, very rarely ever used and totally unloved…… what more can I say except I see them for sale at almost every swap meet I go to. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 12-24-2014, 07:15 AM

G'day Bill.
it has been my experience that soda blasting does not remove even the thin rust lines you get under old paint. It will remove paint and grime but the soda leaves the rust in place as the rust is tougher than the soda and therefore has no effect on it. My friend had his Valiant body done by a specialty shop it was clean but the rust was still there and had to be removed by a light blast with fine grit. Maybe others have had this as well so I thought you might like to check that out before you set up with soda.

John.

PS MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:07 AM

I used one like this at work for smaller areas like you are talking about. It does recycle the media. Some does leak out, so you will still need a tent etc.
I'm thinking it is more expensive than you are talking about wanting, but it does blast and recycle the media. It uses a 1/2 inch air line.

I adapted one of these for use in my sandblast cabinet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KX-28-CYCLO-...tem5af338ei9d2