All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-10-2014, 12:52 AM
MetalShaper of the Month July '14

This is brilliant David, very informative from an enduser point of view, from the safety aspects I believe it to be the same as any other workshop hazards. What we use will bit you if not used correctly with the right precautions.

Am I right in saying that gauges are becoming an integral part of the bottle?

Follow the Dream - Sideways - - But don't fall-off the edge

'good to know you guys care'
https://ctrestorations.com/
Old 07-10-2014, 05:19 PM

This is great info you are posting up David, I haven't used oxy for welding since the late 90's, I have only Mig and Tig + plasma, so there is no need for oxy, I agree oxy welding is easier and simpler to finish, but the economics just doesn't cut it. With the cost of gas and bottle hire, just doesn't make it viable for me which is a shame.
Here we can buy our Mig and Argon bottles straight out, (no yearly rental) but they haven't done that for Oxy Accet as yet.
Maybe when that happens ill go back to Oxy welding, I do miss my henrob torch.

Thanks for your time posting as its pretty valuable for those who currently and want to get into it.

John
Old 07-17-2014, 06:03 PM

Default Thank you!

I'm in the process of getting my HenRob / Cobra torch setup with a Smith Gasaver. I haven't used O/A in over a decade, and used it with a Victor torch for brazing and cutting. The sheet metal welding is all new to me, so this thread is perfect. I've taken a class from Jere Kirkpatrick, bought and watched your "Bodywork Restoration Tutorial", got my Cobra hooked up and burning, but got a flashback into the torch when trying to relight it from the pilot light on the Gasaver. Talked to Jere, and I think I had the O too low. I'll finish studying the links on this thread, and then go apply what I've learned and try again.

Thanks for posting this.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:28 PM

Default Thanks.

Thanks for this David. I first did some OA welding on the courses at Leeds City Technology College taught by a great old panelman named Terry Devaney. I've just got my own OA equipment and I'm getting some practice in. I'm mindful of the fact that the experienced practitioner can't easily put himself inside the head of the novice so I offer the following. When butt welding two panels with MIG we're taught to tack up then do an inch at a time and allow that inch to cool (or use compressed air) before moving on. When it comes to butt welding two sections of a panel maybe 18 inches in length using oxy-acetylene what are the benefits of Mark and Natoli Panels method or fusion welding the entire joint? Keep it coming.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:45 PM

I must be a real old fossil now, in the 1940's-up to mid 50's I was taught on and used only an acetylene generator. The methods are still the same though.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:18 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Thanks guys for your interest. I was trying to bring information together in one place so that anyone interested in oxy-acetylene welding on this site would have a good resource to refer to. Unfortunately the comments below have put me off posting any more. Nothing I posted warranted the response below. There is no point in trying to give people good information when the information I have given is being made light of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Oxy-acetylene is so dangerous and terrifying that we all wonder why it is even permitted for use anymore. There are so many images of cars blown apart, buildings destroyed, fires burning out of control that it just does not seem safe for any human to do. Why do the goverments even allow this to exist? Over the past hundred years there have been so many terrible burns and people killed from this dangerous practice. Why is it allowed to continue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Mr. Gardiner,

It is my surprise that you think I am making light of something so serious.

As a matter of fact, safety with the oxy-fuel torch is as serious as driving an automobile, handling fireworks, working with explosives, or using firearms.

However, as Mr. Tucker learned many years ago with his auto company, when he emphasized the safety of the Tucker car by using the horrors of automobile crashes and lost his customers from an over-emphasis on blood, gore, and destruction, it is a matter of degree.

Thank you for your educational efforts here,

As far as I was concerned I simply pointed out the possible dangers of using and storing oxygen and acetylene. I provided links to government advice on safety,I did not rely on my own opinion about these matters. I felt that people need to be aware of the possible dangers so they can avoid them. It seemed a common sense thing to do but I cannot compete with the sort of comments above and in other threads. I would have hoped that someone who sells welding equipment would have a more sensible view on the safety of their customers and the ability of the customers to use the equipment safely. I would hope that anyone selling welding equipment would sell the customers the correct equipment for the job in hand and also ensure that the customer had all the relevant safety equipment and knowledge to work in safety.

Many people have actually been injured and killed by oxy-acetylene equipment but in every case it is through human error or lack of knowledge.

I think this could have been a good resource.

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 11-28-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:44 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

David, your knowledge and experience is appreciated by 99.5% of us.

I think/hope that someone is making light of the graphic posters plastered on the walls of our US welding suppliers stores illustrating what has happened to some poor souls. Car unrecognizable from explosions, in an attempt to protect them from liabilities of us transporting our own tanks to and from.
Will we be blown to smitherenes? If we take precautions, probability is low, but still exists.

I love America, but somethings here are just ridiculous. Chinese made everything and lawyers lurking everywhere.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:02 PM

David,

Sorry that you were ridiculed while attempting to post information that most of us were anxious to see gathered together in one thread.

Often times on these technical forums folks who post a lot but have nothing worthwhile to add make attempts at some sort of humor. The results are often in poor taste and do not appeal to most members.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:42 PM

Using acetylene and oxigen needs a professional approach to be safe. Though ego's can and may clash, we'll act intelligent and be safe in the end. So please keep posting when you feel like it and we'll try to be objective and learn from everyone who's willing to put their time and effort in. Thank you for that.

Greetings,

Frank
Old 11-28-2014, 05:06 PM

David,
I echo the comments - please continue sharing your experience. Personally, I find it invaluable.
Chris