All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-17-2017, 04:18 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Glad you were about to save it Jack

Thought you would have put some sort of coating behind the fender brace before welding it in though.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:34 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

I stripped down the damaged area of the right fender and it was worse than I thought. Some hack beat this dent out so viciously, he stretched the metal all out of shape. That's why the body line was half buried in filler in this area. Also, there was a crack in the wheel opening where the impact was and that was brazed up when he installed a hastily bent piece of round stock inside to try to restore the rigidity lost where the crack was. He brazed the rod in too. Wonderful!

Name:  946.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  58.0 KB

Name:  947.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  57.9 KB

After some serious effort with a cut off wheel, I managed to get the rod out of the wheel opening without doing any further damage to the fender. I'll have to cut this area out and patch it but I won't do that till I have it bolted to the car. I started roughing in with a few different hammers and dollies to smooth out the metal some so I could see exactly where the stretching was the worst. After that, I used the torch to start shrinking. I did one round of shrinking, then some more planishing, then a second round of shrinking. The circle is the area where the crack was brazed.

Name:  948.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  66.5 KB

Name:  949.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  68.4 KB

After a lot more hammer and dolly work, I've got it pretty close. I'm not going to take it to finished stage because I'll be doing a lot of welding next and that will probably require another round of planishing.

Name:  950.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  951.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  61.1 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 09-17-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:57 PM

If you don't learn what to do with these......

Name:  952.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  64.1 KB

You'll have a tough time figuring out what to do with these.

Name:  953.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  69.3 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:42 AM

Thumbs up

Jack,

Firstly, thank you for your continued efforts in so clearly documenting what you're doing with this project.

Secondly, that last post is a great reminder of how important it is to master the basics before attempting more advanced techniques.

Thanks again, from Down Under.

Dominic
Old 09-18-2017, 09:41 AM

Jack
thanks for another fantastic post.
your build is one I like to follow.
I learn a-lot from you just by following your thread.
Thanks
Old 09-18-2017, 06:22 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack 1957 View Post
Nice work dumbass! .....
It's nice to know somebody else says that to themselves...

Seriously, thank you, Jack. I appreciate the overall thread and build, but seeing what tools and equipment you do (and don't) have is appreciated much more.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:42 PM

I got some welding done on the right fender. I still have to finish up the wheel opening.
I put the original picture in to show how much difference in proportion the 4 1/2" door extension made. We've come a long way. Still a lot to more to do.

Name:  954.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  72.0 KB
Name:  955.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  46.8 KB

Old 09-25-2017, 10:34 AM

I need some help here. I'm at one of those points where I really could use some power equipment. I will be making the rear bumper for this car soon and don't have access to a reciprocating machine. I'll be using .060" 430 Stainless for a few good reasons; available in mirror polish, somewhat easier to work with than 304 and 303, corrosion resistant, won't go magnetic, weldable, and that's the alloy OEM's use for trim. I need to use .060" for strength and so I have enough thickness to polish out any tool marks I might leave behind. I will be making a bumper very similar to what Chip used on his EldoRod.

Name:  2 foose cad 2.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  79.8 KB

I'll have to make it in 5 pieces. The main center bar, left and right inner curves, and left and right outer curves.
I won't have as much crown as the EldoRod because my rear body panel is flatter than that. You can see that below.

Name:  rr bumper.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  42.9 KB

Along the bottom edge I will need about a 3/4" to 1" radiused roll inward. That's where things get tough. If I were making this out of 18ga steel, I would wheel in a little crown and bring the curve into place, then use a radiused die and PU wheel in the bead roller for the radiused lower edge, then use the shrinker along the upper and lower edges to help adjust the curve through the length of the center bar, but I don't think this thick stainless will move for me like that.
I don't have access to a reciprocating machine and don't know anyone nearby that has one.
I could probably beat this thing into submission by hand but it would take me two weeks and I'd end up with forearms like Popeye.
Any suggestions? Kent?Wray? Kerry? Is anyone out there with a reciprocating machine within driving distance of Cleveland, Ohio?

Last edited by Jack 1957; 09-28-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:43 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Type 430 won't turn magnetic as it is already magnetic when you get it. We use it so the fridge doors will stick closed.

The mirror finish is not as nice on the 430 as the 304, but still pretty good.

We had a fellow trying to pound out a bowl with a piece of 20 ga s/s at the last meet and man was he having a hard time.

Good luck with this. I am curious to how it will be accomplished.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 09-27-2017, 03:22 PM

Years ago (literally) a good friend of mine, Art Winnerberg, was working on a similar structure for one of Fran Roxis cars in the shop - Scott Knight was also there getting ready for a seminar on his shrinking discs.... Their thought process was to shape the major portion of the bumpers with flat sheet until it was very close, then they used steel tubing of an appropriate O.D. to match up with their finished profile, and bend/shape the tubing to follow the upper and lower edges of their major sections. Once completed, they would slice through the tubing at an acceptable angle/location, and then attach the bumpers sections to the tubing at the slice. It seemed like a lot of work at the time, but looking back - they had no Pullmax, and this allowed them a lot more leeway when welding all the little sections together as one. They would mount the larger sections to their bumper brackets, and then sneak up on the outer ends till they were close, scribe their lines and begin welding
Never tried this myself, but it might just be another way of approaching the problem and another solution - if not here, somewhere else? Good luck.