All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-24-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean in CT View Post
I am sure ill see you at Wrays - ill need to bring parts-n-pieces up. I have to learn more about tipping,flanging etc. My welding/finishing needs some instruction too.

It is really neat seeing you're car with sheet metal. I am working on my bulkheads and inner structure - building it from the outside in.....guess there is no easy way!
Sean, I'm in the same boat as you are on the things needed to learn. Bulkheads look great. See you there!!

Scratch Building Bugatti Atlantic 57SC with BMW S65
Old 12-04-2017, 03:41 PM

I've been trying to figure out how to go about making the doors for as long as I've been working on this project. Finally decided to make a 19 gauge skin to gut for a one piece flange to hem the door skins to (a lot of metal to move for ultimately a 3" or so flange), but couldn't figure out how else to get the flow right. Bent more 19 gauge into right angle and lots of time on the shrinker to fit the shape inside. Once I finish the perimeter, I'll make a mirror so ends up a rectangular tube frame. And then add horizontal braces. Ran out of time, but here's where I got. Let's hope it works.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:29 AM

It took 150 hours from start to finish and a solid weekend of help from Sam Stein in the home stretch, a lot of hair pulling, about 80 miles of welding the seams and a few rabbit hole detours, but the outer perimeter of the passenger door inner structure is built and after several misses on bending the hinges, the skin completely pulls up and away. Will need to tweak with skin later. Start door 2 today and thinking hard on how to tackle the jams!!!! #crazycontours!!!

Old 01-31-2018, 10:26 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Ira
That was a real challenge! Now the hard part, to make a mirror image for the other door.
Thanks for sharing with us.

Steve
Old 02-24-2018, 08:05 AM

May have taken a while, but this once little boy's dream for big tools and his very own machine shop (and to replace all lost in that fire) did come true. Struck a deal with a retiring machinist/prototype builder for all the machinist contents of his shop, including a Bridgeport with a 2 axis Proto Trak (new screen and motherboard), Harrison Lathe, vertical and Horizontal bandsaws, grinder's, sanders, O/A torch, compressor, all tooling, chucks, rotary and indexing tables, all Starettt, etc. verniers and calibrating tools, 10 HP rotophase, etc. etc. etc. Highlights below. My playroom coming soon to Red Hook Brooklyn (with one of Wray's large english wheels). (PS, if anyone in NYC is interested in a place to build or shape with their own bay and full access to the machine and fabrication tools let me know!!!)

Old 02-24-2018, 05:52 PM

Good on you Ira! That fire still sickens me to think of it.

What about a sprinkler system in the new workshop?

Cheers Charlie
Old 03-08-2018, 06:03 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Nice lot of tools there.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:26 AM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Hi Ira, You're making great progress. What an incredible project both in conception and execution. Congrats on the shop tools, too. Lots of fun awaits. Keep posting photos!
Old 04-17-2018, 07:15 AM

At age 7, I started what became 5 years of guitar lessons and at the end was at best a mediocre guitarist. Then I heard the Allman Bros.’ Fillmore East album and hours a day every day 2 or 3 notes at a time I deciphered and learned to play every one of Duane’s licks. Though I developed my own style, half a century later, its heavily master Duane infused and I can’t pick up an ax without thinking about Duane.

In late 2015, that fire wiped out my shop, a half-century tool collection and my most recent virtually complete 3800 hours of my time hot rod project. At the time I considered myself a decent fabricator with solid mechanics skills, but shaping was black magic. I thought I’d have six months without a shop while rebuilding and started making plans for version 2.0. At the time I was thinking maybe I’d widen a steel-bodied ’33. I called Wray to see if his class might be a start to acquiring the skills I’d need to widen the body.

After talking about the fire, exchanging pictures etc., Wray suggested he’d give me a bay and I could start my next project in his shop, but there was a catch: I’d have to build a super sexy car of my dreams and drop plans for something as mundane as a ’33. The idea of spending six months of weekends (so I thought) in the shop of one of the world’s master coachbuilders was a dream come true (even if it meant 160 miles each way most weekends).

Friday I moved out of Wray’s shop and back into a new shop of my own. What I thought would be six months became two and a half years of everything I could hope and dream for. No longer black magic, steeped in Wray’s shop, I have acquired the confidence and skills to shape panels on my own and more importantly, to work myself out of the inevitable screw-ups and jams.

It’s hard to explain shaping to those not bitten by the bug, but for those who have been bitten, they know and understand the intense inner joy this obsession brings. It has been my absolute privilege to spend this time in Wray’s shop. My own style and aesthetic are well on their way to developing, but as like Duane, they’re heavily master Wray infused and I am confident I’ll be thinking about Wray whenever I shape.

Wray’s own designed tools and all built and machined in his shop english wheels have a really unique feel and quality to them. I couldn’t imagine shaping on anything else and had him build me one of his monsters to take back with me to my new shop (though completely harrowing getting on and off the semi I commissioned for the 170 mile trip home!!!).

As I leave Wray's shop with excitement and passion for my next chapter (more on that too come, but sneak peak below), I wanted to pause and reflect on the brother like friend who has given me so very much. Thank you Wray Schelin!!!

Old 04-17-2018, 09:08 AM

Hint for others because I'm convinced that you know what your doing.

You're braver than I, I've always transported my knee mills by inverting the head and supporting it with a 2 x 6 block, between the top of the (upside down head) and the raised knee.

That said, due to the historical rape of the Highway monies to fund welfare, trains and tunnels in CA, our roads are probably rougher than the path you took.

FWIW