All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Beginner Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-17-2014, 07:17 AM

Default about time

Plenty of run-out, no adjuster, anvil shaped with a grinder. The frame for my E wheel had sat gathering dust for too long. $ 45 and 4 hours later I was wheeling tin
She ain't no beauty queen but I have learn"t so much tonight about moving metal that I had to post a few photos and say thanks to the Guys who are so willing to teach

I thought I'd have a go with a 356 porsche piece. Just love the shape, and things can only improve!

Thanks to all you guys who take the time to teach, show and encourage all of us
Cheers John

wheeling 1.jpg

wheeling 2.jpg

wheeling 4.JPG

wheeling 6.JPG
Old 02-17-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi john View Post
......... I have learn"t so much tonight about moving metal that I had to post a few photos and say thanks to the Guys who are so willing to teach

I thought I'd have a go with a 356 porsche piece. Just love the shape, and things can only improve!

Thanks to all you guys who take the time to teach, show and encourage all of us
Cheers John
That's what it's all about, John, and no need to apologize for your wheel, you got great results! Thanks for posting.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:43 AM

thanks Mark

It was a real buzz to see the steel taking shape under the wheel. i actually used a ball-pein hammer to do the initial stretches and although it looked ugly to start with, the wheeling process actually worked (!)
With a little luck I'll get to have a play with a tig this week. I'll let you know how it goes

Cheers John
Old 05-11-2014, 06:44 AM

Default about time

After a few nights frustration with the tig I decided to order David Gardiner's Dvd.
Its amazing what a difference a little guidance can make. I dragged out the oxy handpiece and leased some bottles.
A couple of hours later I was able to join the panels then planish them back to a half reasonable finish.
I think I may need a different regulator for the oxy as 3 psi barely shows on the gauge
I,m having a bit of trouble with burn-through when tacking so any imput would be welcome. I would recommed to anyone starting out to spend a few dollars and invest in David's DVD

054.JPG

058.JPG

059.JPG

060.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

068.JPG

071.JPG

075.JPG
Old 05-11-2014, 01:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

John, looks like you got a good result with your wheel, a good amount of shape with a reasonable finish.

I am glad you like the DVD you got good results with the welding in quick order. This method makes it easy to get a good finish on the welded area doesn't it?.

David

All things are possible.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:54 AM

Thanks David.
I appreciate the work you put in to the DVD . I find the areas that tack well are fairly easy to weld, but where I burn through (when tacking) and have to use filler rod create a bit of a problem. (at least with gas its relatively easy to planish) Am I doing something wrong to have the tacks burn through ? I have the reg set at 3psi but I suspect this is not entirely accurate as the needle barely moves off the peg. Do I need a second stage regulator ?

Thanks John
Old 05-12-2014, 10:28 AM

You're getting great results for this stage of your game, keep up the good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi john View Post
I think I may need a different regulator for the oxy as 3 psi barely shows on the gauge.....
Here's a great description of an old method to adjust pressures w/o looking at the gauges. It will allow you to use your current gauges. The OX needle on my single stage regulator barely moves off-peg for the correct setting with a small tip using this method. On my dual stage regulator, it's a different story.

http://www.tinmantech.com/html/meco_midget_torch.php

More than a bit unconventional I suppose, the guy I bought my Dillon/Henrob torch from decades ago would set the very low pressures needed by holding the tip near his cheek to feel the pressure. He was an amazing welder with that torch.

Last edited by weldtoride; 05-12-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:15 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Hi John, to me the link given shows a method that is pure guesswork. Use the pressure gauges that is what they are there for if you did not need them they would not be manufactured and in use all around the world. If it was just a case of holding the torch to your cheek you could just connect the hose to the bottle.

You need to set your gauges to the same pressure. 3 to 4 pounds if you are welding ally.

You don't need 2 stage regulators, it just takes a little more effort to set the torch correctly with single stage. I mentioned them to you before because I was just trying to tell you that if you were going to spend money on upgrading it would be better spent on gauges than on a different torch.

David

All things are possible.