All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-30-2011, 03:41 PM

Okay, thanks fella's.

I am going to try a pedal, which my supplier tells me I can borrow for a day, without obligation.

I'll keep ya all posted, thank you.

Ian

Rebuilding the Maslow's Triangle, with Steel, Guitars, and Bourbon...
Old 07-03-2011, 11:27 AM

Default pedal..

When i field weld i use the scratch tig.. most of the time in the shop i use the thumb control.. when i find i can sit down and get to production stuff i use the pedal..but for the most part the amps stay the same so you are not changing it much..its the speed @ which you move and fill if need be..

stainless is my speciality we work with it all day long,everyday, though.so if you can get used to all methods..in the end you will be a better welder for it..
Old 07-05-2011, 04:23 AM

I'll enter a "biased" opinion here. Just for qualification sake I'll say this, I weld every day, without very many exceptions. 99.9% of that is "TIG" welding. With 50% of that being on aluminum of various alloys.

I've used scratch start, thumb controls, index finger controls, and foot pedals.

I can say without question, and with very much bias, that I would never, ever go back to using anything but the foot pedal. Except for the possible super extreme case, where there were simply no other option.The control you gain is simply unmatched.

My personal feeling is that the biggest advantage of TIG welding is the control you have. You have absolute control over nearly all the involved variables. Which to me, at least in my line of work, is critical. Giving up that control, to me at least, lessens the advantages you gain by using TIG over other processes.

In tight spots, I've learned to use the foot control between my knees. But otherwise I prefer to sit, if I can. I will also use hand rests when possible. I prefer not use thumb or index controls, because I feel like I loose stability, and "wiggle" too much with the torch.

Just my opinion. But for me at least, there is no going back. Once I learned to use the foot control, I felt like I had the control I needed to weld anything that came my way.

Later,
Kev