All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
Register All Albums Event Calendar Today's Posts Search
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-05-2014, 01:56 PM

Default Trying to Pass the Torch

Howdy!
Our journey started 2 years ago when my son Zeke, then 9, told me he wanted to learn how to "build" motorcycles. Two years later we have built two motorcycles.

We tried to join a local community college for their motorcycle course but they wouldn't let my son in because of his age and liability. So we joined two forums Hondatwins.com and Dotheton.com. The members of those forums poured their knowledge and patience into our threads to teach us. If you look at those threads you will see how "green" we were.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45872.0

We took that motorcycle to the Barber Vintage Festival where we met John Viviani, curator for Mr. Barber's Lotus Collection. Mr Viviani introduced us to Bryan Fuller. Mr. Fuller gave Zeke his first TIG welding lesson. Several people we respected said that Zeke needed to learn how to Oxyacetelene weld. So we bought a cobra torch and a rig and built our first tank out of steel. We have 100's of hours in that tank and as many mistakes.

Http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=52299.0

Zeke is still working on his craft and wants to build a tank for this bike out of aluminum this winter.

We were referred to this forum by Constance who works for Mr. Kent White and so here we are.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:13 PM

I'm envious! I wish I had a dad like you. I learned using the bash and tinker method, it didn't always work. I'm dying to see what he will achieve in a few short years.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:15 PM

Patrick
What a great father/son hobby. I am sure Zeke will remember this experience throughout his life. Great to see a child that age have so much interest.
Phil
Old 12-05-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokie View Post
I'm envious! I wish I had a dad like you. I learned using the bash and tinker method, it didn't always work. I'm dying to see what he will achieve in a few short years.
thanks Pokie part of the story is I was listening to the radio before we got our first motorcycle and they said the problem with Zeke's generation is that they didn't "tinker" and that tinkerers are inventors and we need more inventors like you.

It is the "bash and tinker" method that pretty much describes what many kids need to learn. Zeke is no exception. It is their learning style. Unfortunately we are sometimes more worried about them getting hurt than allowing them to learn that way. Up until last week I didn't know that metal fume was an issue until someone pointed it out to me.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:14 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick DeZeeuw View Post
thanks Pokie part of the story is I was listening to the radio before we got our first motorcycle and they said the problem with Zeke's generation is that they didn't "tinker" and that tinkerers are inventors and we need more inventors like you.

It is the "bash and tinker" method that pretty much describes what many kids need to learn. Zeke is no exception. It is their learning style. Unfortunately we are sometimes more worried about them getting hurt than allowing them to learn that way. Up until last week I didn't know that metal fume was an issue until someone pointed it out to me.
Hey Patrick,
Sure enjoyed seeing your 175 doing the hot runs. That one mph can sure be elusive, eh?

Good to see Zeke taking this on. My own son was taught from a very early age (5), setting rivets, pressing, drilling. By age 9 he could handle a torch, and was so focused that he would weld off the end of the frame and onto the concrete floor! He is an excellent weldor now, having done yachts in Newport, aerospace and undersea robot power arms in CA, and now hi-po diesel.Colin riveting.jpg

Keep those projects coming his way, and Zeke will continue to make things happen. Good lad.
You guys are in Austin? I get out to San Antonio a few times a year. It would be good to meet up.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Hey Patrick,
Sure enjoyed seeing your 175 doing the hot runs. That one mph can sure be elusive, eh?

Good to see Zeke taking this on. My own son was taught from a very early age (5), setting rivets, pressing, drilling. By age 9 he could handle a torch, and was so focused that he would weld off the end of the frame and onto the concrete floor! He is an excellent weldor now, having done yachts in Newport, aerospace and undersea robot power arms in CA, and now hi-po diesel.Attachment 30478

Keep those projects coming his way, and Zeke will continue to make things happen. Good lad.
You guys are in Austin? I get out to San Antonio a few times a year. It would be good to meet up.
Hey Mr.White its nice speaking with you again oh it's Zeke. It's awesome tho now that I'm not the only 11 year old welder. I told my dad I wanted to go to one of your seminars. We actually live in Dallas,TX we just filmed in Austin.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:12 PM

Hi Patrick,

you and Zeke will find a lot of good information and friendly help here.

cheers,
Michael
Old 12-07-2014, 12:18 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec 2010, Sept 2015, Jan 2016

Priceless

Ben
Old 12-07-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
Hi Patrick,

you and Zeke will find a lot of good information and friendly help here.

cheers,
Michael
Michael! We are so grateful for you and hope to shake your hand in person some day.

We couldn't of done it without your ''How to tune Honda cb160/175 Racers'. Zeke names his Victoria CR209 after your CR216 and the other Honda Cr's. Zeke is walking in your footsteps more and more. He asked Santa for a Ducati supersport 'jelly mold' project for Christmas. Lol one day he will realize why you switched to Honda Twins. Btw you were right about the Cobra and we should have bought the Meco midget. Zeke got in the truck the other day with a design in his head for a lever action to operate both valves at the same time on the Cobra so he could control the heat better. What we didn't know is that you can do this with your thumb on the midget.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Hey Patrick,
Very elusive. One of our members on another forum taught us about the cosine effect on radar. Mom is a math teacher and was able to use it as an object lesson in class. Unfortunately you can't use it to get yourself out of a ticket.

The Bostrom's said it was the fastest 99mph they have ever gone. The best way I can describe riding a motorcycle with a dustbin fairing in a crosswind is to watch a pitcher let go of a knuckle ball when you crack the throttle your don't know what side of the track you will end up on.

Zeke wants to replicate our fiberglass NSU Sportmax dustbin fairing and fashion one out of aluminum for greater Stability in the future.

Kevin Schwantz said the same thing you did to me when we returned to the pits. Then he smiled and said, "I know a rider that can take it to the ton"

image.jpg