All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-30-2020, 10:11 AM

Default Windshield Frame - A Pillar Construction

Hello to everyone here, I am building a tube chassis car along with making the body panels myself. I have selected a windshield to use from a late model donor car and need to construct the surrounding frame and A pillars. I’m working with 18 and 20 ga steel. In the shop here we have an assortment of hammers, dollys, hand shears, a bead roller, Shrinker, stretcher and small English wheel . What is the best approach to constructing the surround in as few pieces possible? Features needed include a protruding edge for the door weather strip to attach and a space for the windshield finish molding to press into (the Christmas tree style). Do any of you have a cutaway view or a sketch of an A pillar design , or a description of how best to approach this part of the body. I’ve looked into a junkyard windshield frame but the $ was about what the whole car costs.
Many thanks, Vinny
Old 01-30-2020, 12:02 PM

I’ll upload a drawing of what I have in mind later today . Thanks for looking, Vinny
[/IMG]

Last edited by CousinVinny; 01-30-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:23 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Question Things to consider...

Vinny: I don't see an issue with your example approach per see but things to consider:
  1. How and where are the pieces to be welded together, especially the "L" and "Z" shaped ones that only meet up on a bent edge?
  2. Are these members all straight or will there be some curve in them? If curved, I'd suggest you do some trial pieces to figure out if it's doable and how best to control the curve you put in them.
  3. Is this design just needed for the side pillars? What does the channels for top and bottom look like and how will they join to these?