All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-19-2017, 09:43 AM

Default What can a Pullmax do?

When you get started in metal shaping, you learn about all kinds of different tools, one being a Pullmax electric reciprocating machine.

I don't recall where I saw my first one being used for metal shaping, but early on I saw thumbnail shrinking dies being used, beading and a couple other operations. But it's when I saw the original 1950's Pullmax Operations video, that I was really sold. The machines could do much more than I ever imagined. Little did I know that there's also a 1980's Pullmax Operations video.

Kent White, Tin Man Tech, has now made both available at

https://www.tinmantech.com/products/...operations.php

Watching them will help you understand other operations you can do with the machine, and how to set it up for nibbling, and other operations, we don't normally use it for in metal shaping. A Pullmax is a big investment of money and square footage. I want to get everything out of it that's possible.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:09 PM

My pullmax has tag that says universal shearing and forming machine to me the term universal means it will do what ever you can make it do . Much like Hossfeld universal bender , It really pays to be`machinist ,so as to be able to make the tooling as apposed to buying ,it gets expensive . Time is money waiting for tooling . The biggest thing is hours needed trying different thing learning machines capability's , and the materials to learn on before the final piece.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:06 AM
Administrator

John, Ken is correct with his comment. The use of multiple dies shapes and performing an intermediate step with a different machine can also expand the possibilities on the Pullmax. You can also use the clearance in the dies to your advantage for some forming operations.

Having machinist skills and equipment will increase the capability of the Pullmax at minimum cost.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:10 AM

I just pulled the trigger myself and bought a Trumpf CN-701, I'll be bringing it into the shop next week. I am so excited. It's huge, thats a fact.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:06 PM
MetalShaper of the Month July '14

Found this clip which I think gives a good insight to what is possible in the right hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBdwCQ5l0eE

understand if admin take it down Tom

Follow the Dream - Sideways - - But don't fall-off the edge

'good to know you guys care'
https://ctrestorations.com/
Old 01-22-2017, 12:37 AM

Default Thanks Tom

Yes, I've seen that Youtube video before. He does show some interesting things, not doesn't give up some of his 'secrets'.

The difference between that video, and the original Pullmax videos, is the original videos also show how to set the dies for cutting, where you move the dovetail in relation to the cutter. Some folks don't know that the marks on the front of the dovetail actually have a purpose.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.