All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-20-2019, 07:36 PM

Default 1951 Spartan Aircraft Co "Imperial Mansion" travel trailer

Didn't know where to post this so General it is..

I delivered a piece of metal artwork to a business and a very nice lady there asked if I worked with metal, well yes yes I do.. "Do you speak Aircraft Metalwork?" well yes.. then she starts talking about her travel trailer that needs work, needing a roof vent modified the factory size is 12 x 16 she needed 14x14 for a coleman AC/Heat unit... I quoted a price and agreed to take the work, there were two additional issues, a lawn mower had hit the curb side panel under the door, and something had punched 3 holes in the front panel, unfortunately she was not open to removing interior panels so some of this ended up with blind rivets..

She sent me a pic of what the AC adaption should be like...

I just couldn't do that!

I could have just made small patch panels for the front and I could have left it plain but nah I bead rolled a Spartan Aircraft logo into the panel I made.

I CNC Plasma Cut the 5052 Alu for these panels including hole placement then I drilled the holes out. I rebuilt the roof structure where it had to be cut out. The top panel only needed to be cut and riveted in, the side panel required some wheel work and shrinking and bead roller tipping along the bottom curved edge, again CNC Plasma cut then drilled. I took measurements and drew it up in CAD then cut it.

Front panel I pre Stretched with the wheel then bead rolled the design..
She loved it.

Last edited by KKroger; 02-20-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:46 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKroger View Post
Didn't know where to post this so General it is..

I delivered a piece of metal artwork to a business and a very nice lady there asked if I worked with metal, well yes yes I do.. "Do you speak Aircraft Metalwork?" well yes.. then she starts talking about her travel trailer that needs work, needing a roof vent modified the factory size is 12 x 16 she needed 14x14 for a coleman AC/Heat unit... I quoted a price and agreed to take the work, there were two additional issues, a lawn mower had hit the curb side panel under the door, and something had punched 3 holes in the front panel, unfortunately she was not open to removing interior panels so some of this ended up with blind rivets..

She sent me a pic of what the AC adaption should be like...

I just couldn't do that!

I could have just made small patch panels for the front and I could have left it plain but nah I bead rolled a Spartan Aircraft logo into the panel I made.

I CNC Plasma Cut the 5052 Alu for these panels including hole placement then I drilled the holes out. I rebuilt the roof structure where it had to be cut out. The top panel only needed to be cut and riveted in, the side panel required some wheel work and shrinking and bead roller tipping along the bottom curved edge, again CNC Plasma cut then drilled. I took measurements and drew it up in CAD then cut it.

Front panel I pre Stretched with the wheel then bead rolled the design..
She loved it.

Nice old trailer job, replete with arty panelwork.
Long under door panel has odd pop rivet heads - never seen those like that before.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Really nice work Kerry! Those old vintage travel trailers are really becoming hot these days.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Really nice work Kerry! Those old vintage travel trailers are really becoming hot these days.
Thanks! Yeah this one is unique it is completely original inside no alterations.. Really cool woodwork...