All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-01-2018, 09:03 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018, August 2021,November 2023

Default 1950 Mercury

This 1950 Mercury project was a past project. The customer had initially built the car many many years ago and had racked up a lot of miles using it. He decided it was time to tear it back down and rebuild it again.

I was tasked with bringing the metalwork back up to shape. As mentioned this project was done by me years ago, and I wasn't always as good as documenting my work with pictures etc. as I try to be today.

Overall there was plenty of rust repair to complete. Fabricated a new trunk floor, fabricated new inner rocker structures & outer skins, fabricated lower quarter panel sections, lower fender sections, etc.

I'll start this post off with pictures of re-doing the roof chop since frankly it's the most interesting part of the project to me The chop and look of the vehicle was spot on, but the desire to have better quality metalwork as a foundation was important to me and the customer.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  53.5 KB

Here is a good profile picture of the chop and metal work as it started. It was a lot of patchwork, slice and dice previously. You can also see a large swale / low spot several inches in front of the rear window.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  47.3 KB

Initially I had the silly idea to try and shape the entire width of the roof in a single panel. It didn't take me much time to cut it in half as it would have been impossible and a big hassle for me to try and manhandle that big panel in the English wheel, shrinker / stretcher, etc. all by myself!

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  44.9 KB

With the panel cut in half it was much easier for me to handle by myself! Here is a test fit of the panel, clecos holding the front in place and some clamps at the back while doing initial shaping and fitting.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  52.4 KB

Once I was happy with the shape of the first panel, I trimmed out the previous patchwork and weld seams. (Remember we weren't changing the overall shape of the chop, but instead just cleaning and refining the metalwork)

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  44.4 KB

First half of the rear roof was welded into position

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  52.2 KB

Now I could start working my way around the rear window. I did this in smaller sections.

1. It was easier to shape smaller panels
2. This helped the roof maintain it's shape, rather than cutting out larger sections at a time.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  50.8 KB

Here the previous section around the rear corner of the quarter window was shaped and welded into position.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  46.7 KB

Now a larger portion of the sail panel was removed (I would have previously shaped the actual replacement panel first, but I obviously don't have a picture of that I guess)

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  52.7 KB

New sail panel section welded into position. I rough worked the welds and metalwork as I progressed and revisited it all once the entire roof was completed.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  55.7 KB

Shaped a new lower corner section for the rear window and have cut out the previous one in preparation to weld in the new section.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  50.4 KB

Rear window corner section set into place (not welded yet)

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  47.3 KB

Rear window corner section now welded into position.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  56.1 KB

Removed the decklid filler panel (took this opportunity to clean up and correct some of the inner structure at this point as well)

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  58.7 KB

Panel welded into positon

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  54.8 KB

All the same work was performed on the driver's side of the vehicle as well. Overall the chop and metalwork cleaned up really well.

Dane
Old 03-01-2018, 09:36 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Great pics and work- seeing the progress of the work around the perimeter of the rear window is much appreciated.

Congratulations on MSOTM.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:42 AM

Default Shaped lower corner section

When you shaped the lower corner section why did you curve the panel at the deck lid to the quarter panel?
Old 03-02-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustreapers View Post
When you shaped the lower corner section why did you curve the panel at the deck lid to the quarter panel?
I don't recall for sure as this was a project from the past. Looking at pictures jogs my memory of two possibilities or a combination of the two.

1. A curved patch is better to weld into rather than a square corner
2. The trunk jamb / corner had previously been radiused by someone in the past and there were areas of brazing, so I probably figured why dig into it and reconstruct it if it wasn't totally necessary.

Dane
Old 03-02-2018, 10:33 AM

very nice
I have a 50 thats been waiting patiently for a couple decades in my shop
please post some side shot pics, that roof has a very nice flow
Old 03-02-2018, 06:09 PM

In this post I'll briefly highlight some of the rust repair areas I dealt with. Again, sorry for the lack of real quality photos. I feel for the most part I'm a bit better keeping record of my work today.

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  38.0 KB

This is the lower rear brace on the front fender.

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  46.0 KB

Fabricated up a new section of the brace. A pretty basic repair, but still a repair that needed to be completed.

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  43.8 KB

Lower portion of the fenders had significant rust as well. Here the panel has already been removed in preparation for a new panel to be shaped and welded in.

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  37.6 KB

Lower portion of fender was shaped up, welded in and metalworked.

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  57.4 KB

After we dug into the rocker panels you can see that some significant repairs were necessary.

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  49.0 KB

With everything "bad" trimmed away, it was time to start fabricating the new inner rocker structure and lower portion of the b-pillar.

Name:  22.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  46.8 KB

Unfortunately here I was lacking on good "in progress" pics. I've jumped past the fabrication of the inner structure and this picture only shows after the door sill and the outer rocker skin have been fabricated and installed.

Name:  23.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  40.3 KB

A portion of the wheel lip had to be shaped up and grafted into position. Here I'm holding the damaged / replaced section next to the already shaped and installed new section.

Note the lower portion of the quarter panel has also been trimmed away and will be replaced.

Name:  24.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  45.3 KB

New lower section of the quarter panel was shaped up and installed.

Dane
Old 03-03-2018, 08:43 AM

This post will show the changes I did around the headlight area as well as the modifications to a Kaiser bumper guard to fit the rear Mercury bumper.

Views: 1039
Size:  46.1 KB

Previously the parking light area was just cut and hammered flat and filled over.

Views: 1068
Size:  46.6 KB

The customer had visions of doing a sloped forward looking transition into the headlight. So I blocked in some foam so I could start carving a rough mock up.

Note: Previously someone had added "hoods" to the headlights. The customer still wanted this feature, but I removed these and refabricated them a bit nicer.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  36.0 KB

Here the foam was carved into the rough shape to see if his vision would look good in person.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  39.1 KB

Shaping of the new transition piece is underway....

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  53.2 KB

Here is the best picture I have of the headlight transition and redone headlight hood.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  41.8 KB

The customer had a Kaiser bumper guard that he wanted fit to the rear bumper of the Mercury.

Here the guard was rough trimmed to get it to set in the desired position and temporary tacked into position (Eventually it was bolted on from the back side of the bumper)

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  42.6 KB

Here is a view from the opposite side showing the initial fit. You can see it obviously doesn't fit the profile shape of the bumper, but also the bottom of the guard hung well below the bumper as well.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  40.5 KB

This picture shows the guard after I reshaped and shortened the lower corner so it transitions into the bumper at the right height.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  41.8 KB

All that was left to do was to close up the fit for the profile of the bumper nice and tight.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  40.6 KB

View from the another angle of the fit to the profile of the bumper.

Dane
Old 03-03-2018, 09:29 AM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Some very dramatic improvements of the original project. Nicely done.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:25 PM

All I can say as a beginner seeing this is WOW what a difference from before. Your work is like night and day better than the previous work, even if it was yours or someone else. I have to say you knocked it out of the park with the light hoods and the roof rework.
Appreciate you sharing a older project!

TX
Old 03-03-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longyard View Post
Some very dramatic improvements of the original project. Nicely done.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr fixit
All I can say as a beginner seeing this is WOW what a difference from before. Your work is like night and day better than the previous work, even if it was yours or someone else. I have to say you knocked it out of the park with the light hoods and the roof rework.
Appreciate you sharing a older project!

TX
Thank you, I'm not sure when the car was originally customized, but I imagine it was maybe even done before I was alive?! Not sure exactly.

Attached are several pictures of the car assembled after the major metalwork "phase" of the project was completed.

From here, the owner and his two sons continued on with the build mechanically as well as doing all the bodywork themselves.

Once they had their portion of the project ready, they did have another shop do the finish painting (To clarify, I did not do the paintwork on this Mercury)

Lastly, the owner and the two sons did all the final assembly on the vehicle to get it to a finished point.

It turned out to be an absolutely beautiful '50 Merc in my opinion!!

Views: 956
Size:  57.0 KB

Views: 965
Size:  77.8 KB

Name:  Mercurybaresteel007.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  74.8 KB

Name:  Mercurybaresteel024.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5626.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  79.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5627.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  81.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5631.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  76.8 KB

Dane

Last edited by pplace; 03-03-2018 at 05:45 PM.