All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-02-2014, 02:15 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

John in regard to your comment about using three times as much oxygen as acetylene - surely not if you are welding sheet metal with a neutral flame and not doing any cutting. I am not arguing- I am sure you know more about these things than me but it just does not sound right to me.

David

All things are possible.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:47 PM

Thanks John of Hobbygas for the very comprehensive reply, thought the bottle was small based on the 0.81 cu litres but using a no 5 tip for sheet welding would provide 5.7 hours of welding which I assume means continuous welding time- which is a lot in reality.

"I have not Failed - I've just found 10,000 ways that have not worked" - Thomas Edison
Old 01-03-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
John in regard to your comment about using three times as much oxygen as acetylene - surely not if you are welding sheet metal with a neutral flame and not doing any cutting. I am not arguing- I am sure you know more about these things than me but it just does not sound right to me.

David
Hi David,

Yes, you're right, of course it will depend on what you're doing, I should have said that 3 to 1 is the typical cylinder ratio that our customers experience using our Oxy and Acet (in terms of how often they are refilled). Acetylene by nature will last longer than Oxygen in the same size cylinder as it is not a compressed gas.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tomczyk View Post
Thanks John of Hobbygas for the very comprehensive reply, thought the bottle was small based on the 0.81 cu litres but using a no 5 tip for sheet welding would provide 5.7 hours of welding which I assume means continuous welding time- which is a lot in reality.
Hi Jim,
Its a suprising amount of time you can get from the 5 litre cylinder. I believe the Porta-Pack was the same size?

I have a Disolved Acetylene usage and safety sheet which I can email to anyone who would like it - it includes which nozzles to use with our cylinder - but its also useful as a guide for lph of a variety of welding and cutting nozzles.
just drop an email to jrodden@hobbyweld.co.uk and I can send one to you.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:10 PM

HobbyWeld is a brilliant business that only falls short in one area that I can see. Hobby, suggests that it is used by people who don't do this as their day job. However, all of the stockists in Worcestershire are only open mon-fri 9-5 and in some cases less. i.e. whilst I am at work. Ah you say, I could get it delivered. But if I could be home to receive a delivery, I could save myself £12 delivery charge and just go down the street and get one. Need some Saturday opening stockists.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:14 PM

Gas direct , do a search on them , they save me 75% over boc ( robbing bar stewards ) , that's on rental and gas costs . When you have 12 bottles that's a lot of money a year . Boc bottles have been tagged for the last 6/7 years . Rightly or not I swapped bottles for "friends " ended up paying rental on 10 bottles we didn't have !
Old 01-20-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bspoke View Post
Gas direct , do a search on them , they save me 75% over boc ( robbing bar stewards ) , that's on rental and gas costs . When you have 12 bottles that's a lot of money a year . Boc bottles have been tagged for the last 6/7 years . Rightly or not I swapped bottles for "friends " ended up paying rental on 10 bottles we didn't have !
Yes tagging with barcodes by BOC was rolled out across the country from north to south. Got down to Sussex mid 2013 I seem to remember. My use is so so slow I used to have bottles for years before refill. Now looking at alternatives for gas supply.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:26 AM

Default acy

calicum carbide disolved in water produces acetylne
gas when I was BOY IN missouri lots of folks generated there own gas. oxy you still have to buy. Same thing as a miners carbide light. do some research.