All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Miscellanous products related to metalshaping
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-15-2014, 09:53 AM

I have 2 of the Lincoln Viking Helmets and love them. I teach welding merit badge for the Boy Scouts so I bought a couple of the HF helmets. The lenses in the HF are pretty decent, but I really feel the Lincoln helmets are better. Overall quality and durability of the Lincoln helmets are WAY better. They have batteries that are not replaceable. They use the solar cell to charge the internal batteris. Of the 2 Lincoln helmets that I have, one has the rotary shade adjustment on the side. I like that as I can change from shade 10 for mig to "grind" mode without removing the helmet. The grind mode just turns off the auto darkening. When the darkening is off, it is a shade 4 or 5. I use that for my OA welding.
Brad
Old 05-16-2014, 01:50 AM

I have two ESAB auto darkerning helmets. They are dedicated for either mig or tig, as i found the mig spatters block the sensors. This doesn't matter for mig, but gives flashing when tig welding.
Since i got a great deal on a second helmet, i bought a second one instead of switching screens on daily bases.

They are nice helmets, not too expensive and i don't have any eye problems after long days.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:33 PM

All auto darkening helmets, have internal batteries. I been using them for more than 20 years. The one I use right now is a Fronus, that I have just replaced the batteries, today.

I used two CR123, 3v batteries, that I soldered wires onto. Open the auto darkening cartridge, removed the old batteries and soldered the new CR123 in.

The CR123 are much bigger capacity than the coin type batteries they replaced and have a shelf live of 10 years. Forget all the stories from the salesman, that you need a new cartridge and fix it yourself.

It doesn`t matter, if it is a cheap Chinese or an expensive, top of the range helmet, they all can be fixed, just take your time and be very carefull when opening the cartridge.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM32ply View Post
I have 2 of the Lincoln Viking Helmets and love them. I teach welding merit badge for the Boy Scouts so I bought a couple of the HF helmets. The lenses in the HF are pretty decent, but I really feel the Lincoln helmets are better. Overall quality and durability of the Lincoln helmets are WAY better. They have batteries that are not replaceable. They use the solar cell to charge the internal batteris. Of the 2 Lincoln helmets that I have, one has the rotary shade adjustment on the side. I like that as I can change from shade 10 for mig to "grind" mode without removing the helmet. The grind mode just turns off the auto darkening. When the darkening is off, it is a shade 4 or 5. I use that for my OA welding.
Brad
JUst got my self one of these after have several cheap ones die usually THE harness breaks fill bit the bullet ans spent a few hundred on a lincon what a beautiful unit compared to the cheap 50 buck ones u have been using