All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
Register All Albums Event Calendar Today's Posts Search
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-03-2017, 08:53 AM

Default McPherson, KS

Hello fellow metal artists!

In 2015 I graduated from the McPherson College Auto Restoration program. I was the...um...most-non traditional student among the non-traditional students. What a priveledge it's been to be around young, talented, driven students who appreciate old iron.

I took all the sheet metal shaping classes I could during my education here, not because I'm good at but because I'd like to be. My instructor was Ed Barr, author of the book "Professional Sheet Metal Fabrication". That was another great privelege. Because my wife and I settled in McPherson after I graduated, and because I now teach part-time at McPherson College (not in the auto resto program), I regularly get to see Ed and the other outstanding professors of restoration technology.

I've supplemented my sheet metal education with a Fay Butler class. I must have a thick skull because it takes multiple teaching episodes for things to sink in.

I am very interested in traditional, non-powered shaping methods. It's partly because I have very limited shop space, and many other items competing for my tool dollars. My objective is simple: I want to be able to build anything, with nothing. Or as close to nothing as I can get.

Feel free to ask me questions about the program at McPherson College, but be prepared for my gushing enthusiasm for the college, the students, and the great faculty.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:27 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Welcome aboard Scott.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 10-07-2017, 05:41 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsversaw View Post
Hello fellow metal artists!

In 2015 I graduated from the McPherson College Auto Restoration program. I was the...um...most-non traditional student among the non-traditional students. What a priveledge it's been to be around young, talented, driven students who appreciate old iron.

I took all the sheet metal shaping classes I could during my education here, not because I'm good at but because I'd like to be. My instructor was Ed Barr, author of the book "Professional Sheet Metal Fabrication". That was another great privelege. Because my wife and I settled in McPherson after I graduated, and because I now teach part-time at McPherson College (not in the auto resto program), I regularly get to see Ed and the other outstanding professors of restoration technology.

I've supplemented my sheet metal education with a Fay Butler class. I must have a thick skull because it takes multiple teaching episodes for things to sink in.

I am very interested in traditional, non-powered shaping methods. It's partly because I have very limited shop space, and many other items competing for my tool dollars. My objective is simple: I want to be able to build anything, with nothing. Or as close to nothing as I can get.

Feel free to ask me questions about the program at McPherson College, but be prepared for my gushing enthusiasm for the college, the students, and the great faculty.
Scott.. Welcome to the forum....
Making a panel with simple hand tools is not impossible, as a mater of fact is quite rewarding. I was thought this way nearly 50 Years ago and only now days with my back and wrists and most of my body worn out I decided to use machine tools as much as I can... BUT.... Unless you have good hands on skills and learn what metal is telling you..... the machine will not do much for you, it will only make you scrap in a hurry . Take a look at this short video about making a full quarter panel with hand tools only and a wheeling machine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Cheers
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 10-07-2017, 07:05 PM

Default Another metal shaper in my area

Scott;
I live near Minden, NE. I am also a metal shaper with hand tools. I have recently (last year) begun to improve my skills after taking two classes from Pat at Custom Rides in Hastings NE. Keep with your interests in old cars.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:37 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Welcome to the forum, Scott.

I have a similar goal to make more with less, using a minimum of viable tools. And I really like how quiet an English wheel is. Peter and his legendary video about the Monaro panel were very influential to me long before I ever heard of this forum. Taking a class from him- never imagined that would happen. When it did, it was no disappointment.

Whatever approach or tools or methods strike your fancy, you're in the right place.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:10 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb. 2010

welcome Scott.

My son is looking into McPherson, for the auto restoration.

Is it as good as they say?

thanks johnny