All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Buck Building
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Default Another wooden buck

This is hopefully the last buck that I will have to make for the speedster.

Drawing time: 2-1/2 hours
The wood cost: $44
Waterjet cost: $140
Assembly time: (14) minutes
Sanding contour time: 8 minutes

This is just random information for comparative purposes. I chose this method because I had a drawing of the body that I made, I am comfortable making fabrication drawings and the waterjet guy is very accomodating, I can send the email from home, saving one trip, and I can work in the shop to pay for the waterjet work while it is being done. Besides that, I don't know any other way!

I made the drawings to have the holes pre-made in the wood, so I did not have to layout any holes. The waterjet guy estimated that the addition of the holes cost me about $8. The assembly time was minimal because of the pre-drilled holes and the wood nestled together well enough that glue was not required.

The two additional ribs in the center of the buck were not required to make the shape, but I intend to have a character line that wide down the top of the car, and i expect that I might hafe to use the hammer in that area.

I used the same metal mounting plate that I used at Kerry's for the nose and tail section bucks.

strg22.jpg

3wc74 002.jpg

3wc82 016.jpg

3wc82 017.jpg

3wc82 019.jpg

3wc82 022.jpg

3wc82 024.jpg

3wc82 030.jpg

3wc82 031.jpg

3wc82 032.jpg

For more details and photos of the Speedster project, click on either of the top two pictures:

http://www.mantiquesresto.com/Projects/Projects2.html

Last edited by RockHillWill; 01-25-2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: added last lines
Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Metal Shaper of the Month, November 2012

thank you for the break down of cost and time with the buck. good information.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:46 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2012, Jan 2013, Oct 2013

Very nice buck, will save you many many hrs in the long run...much easier to shape when you have a good buck

// Per

https://www.facebook.com/metalman.sweden
Old 01-25-2013, 04:28 PM

Very nice work, thanks for sharing. I am following your other thread on the speedster, very nice there as well. Could you please clarify something for me: when you submit drawings to the waterjet contractor, are they 2D of the individual stations, or a composite 3D? In other words, who generates the individual station drawings from the 3D model? Assuming you are starting with a 3D model, that is.

I am looking at taking a foray into 3d modeling this summer in order to generate bucks myself, and I am trying to see all the different ways people go about it.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:47 PM

Hello Mark,

I have just developed a keen desire to draw in 3D. You can draw the individual parts and then assemble them on the computer to see if they fit BEFORE you twist a wrench. You start a 3D drawing by making the outline, adding holes, etc., then add depth to the part and that makes it a 3D part.

The waterjet machine accepts several file extensions attached to an electronic drawing. It isd my understanding that all / most of the CNC machines will accept a .dxf file extension. When I have my 3D drawing completed, I can generate a drawing that some reference dimensions can be added to for checking that the waterjet cut the part to the correct scale.

It is way easier than it sounds from my description. If you draw a 2D part in SolidWork or a drawing in AutoCad, you simply save the drawing with a .dxf fike extension. I can sit at my desk and email that .dxf file to the waterjet guy specifying the material thickness and one or two dimensions are all he needs to verify that it was cut correctly.

On my buck pieces, I measure the thickness of the wood, add .005" to the inner cuts and when I get the parts, they literally fall together. I have learned quickly, that by adding holes to the drawing, it takes me minutes to add them, and they are VERY cheap to get done along with the drawing on the waterjet machine. I have a small history of machine design and price quoting and have run my own business(s) for over 45 years and this just seems like a no brainer.

If I go out and buy the material, I have to call and locate it, get in my truck and pick it up and bring it home, using up space in my shop. Then the gathering of tools, tape measure (I still have to have some form of a dimensional drawing), then using electricity and LABOR time I have to layout, cut and drill to get the part done, then pick up all the leftovers, sweep up, etc.

This way, I just make the drawing and send the email and go work on something that I can earn money on with while the waterjet guy makes the part for me. I have been building and fabricating for more than those 45 years, and this has been the easiest decision that I have ever made, and the quality of work cannot be bettered. All that is needed is a regular 2D drawing for the .dxf file, and that can be generated from a very in-expensive Cad program.

Ask any question that you like. I have learned so much from this site, I owe somebody something.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:14 AM

Question

Will, what program are you using.I have a waterjet service near me and I like what you said about saving time and speed up things.are these programs user friendly?

Last edited by inlinr6; 01-26-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: reword
Old 01-26-2013, 08:35 AM

Good morning Shawn.

I am currently using a 3D software program called SolidWorks. I used to hang around the NASCAR crowd a little bit and I was asked to design a 'pull-down' suspension analysis machine and they wanted me to use software that they could integrate into their current system and the folks at Earnhardt-Gannassi Racing helped me acquire one of the older versions, (v7). I have since upgraded to v10, but it is WAY more capable than anything I am capable of doing with it, but I am have a flat out great time using it.

I like the drawing in the 3D software, but the waterjet machines are only needing a simple .dxf file extension, so a very simple Cad program will suffice. All the machine needs is an outline. I ran into this waterjet guy in Gastonia, N.C. that was starting his own business and was able and interested in doing small jobs for me. He has his own supply of most of the common steel and some of the aluminum sheets. I do not have to call, order or pick up the material, and I only have to pay for the piece of material that is actually used. I simply provide the outline drawing in the .dxf file extension and he asked that I provide only one horizontal and one vertical dimension so that he can check to make sure that it was cut correctly. If I am asking for a tool or part of a fixture, I will give him a variance of thickness that I willing to use further cutting the cost of the part as he can pick from his supply of scrap metal.

If I am in a position to not be in a hurry, he can wait until a larger order is put up on the table and he simply cuts out my pieces at the same time, saving me the setup time. I am charged by the time to do the actual cutting. The machine cuts at a varying rate of speed dependant upon the thickness of the metal. Sheet metal is suprisingly inexpensive, but when I had some 1-1/2" plate cut I was set back by the cost, but was still amazingly less expensive than having it torched and put in a milling machine.

It is a very simple process, easy to provide information for, and from my thinking it is actully been way more than cost effective. The machine is a simple design, but costly to build, but there are a lot of them around.

I would just try to get some kind of cheap Cad program and go from there. I have seen someone (Kerry ?) here on this site that might have mentioned a free download version of some form of simple Cad program. Good luck, ask any questions that I can help with and I will.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 01-26-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
Hello Mark,

I have just developed a keen desire to draw in 3D. You can draw the individual parts and then assemble them on the computer to see if they fit BEFORE you twist a wrench. ........ Ask any question that you like. I have learned so much from this site, I owe somebody something.
Thank you for the reply. In it and a subsequent post in this thread you have indicated praise for Solidworks. That is good to hear, as most of my asking around, and I have done a lot, has resulted in the same answer for what I am trying to do with CAD. My local Community College hosts various CAD courses, Solidworks is one. Looks like I will be enrollling soon.

I also just read your new grill thread, and enjoyed it as well.

Last edited by weldtoride; 01-26-2013 at 10:08 AM.