All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-14-2017, 08:07 AM

Default Low Crown Roof Panel for 48 Anglia

I need to build a roof panel for my 48 Anglia. I need suggestions on where to start at in making a template and how to shape the panel.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:55 AM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2017

Hi Mav,
I am sure more experience people will reply. I use thin masking paper (or painters paper), hold down the edges with magnets, then mark the perimeter with marker or crayon (like the kids use). Cut out and transfer to sheet metal. I will end there, because creating the shape of the roof panel is an art form I have not mastered yet.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:08 AM

Default Need panel advice - no crown to low crown panel

I have been reading "Need panel advice - no crown to low crown panel". This is the same process I will need to go through.

My question how do you measure the crown every few inches to make a buck form?
Old 09-14-2017, 12:08 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5582 View Post
I have been reading "Need panel advice - no crown to low crown panel". This is the same process I will need to go through.

My question how do you measure the crown every few inches to make a buck form?
Lay out the "long" center line (blue tape) on the panel you are copying.
Along that line from one end to the other, mark the points (3" or 6" or 9" or...) that will become your stations.
Lay out two more lines along the edges, parallel to the center line.
Mark the stations along them.
Use a flexible gage to connect your dots, 90deg to the lines and mark these on your flat wood blanks. These will be your stations.
Now, do the same for your 3 "spines."
Cut wood into parts and sand for smooth/fair.
Assemble to see where assy notches should be.

Ending up sorta like this:
buck_ Daytona cobra replica.jpg
okay?

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:32 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec 2010, Sept 2015, Jan 2016

Quote:
I need to build a roof panel for my 48 Anglia. I need suggestions on where to start at in making a template and how to shape the panel.
Years back when I was not into metalshaping I used a roof form a Mini to fill in the roof from my Anglia..It fits perfect and it will give you practice to planish out the welds..

Ben
Old 09-14-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Years back when I was not into metalshaping I used a roof form a Mini to fill in the roof from my Anglia..It fits perfect and it will give you practice to planish out the welds..

Ben
I assume you are talking about any mini cooper roof?

When you say "planish out the weld" I assume you mean bringing the weld flush to the panel so it is not seen, correct. This is a new term for me.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:46 PM

Default Making the buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Lay out the "long" center line (blue tape) on the panel you are copying.
Along that line from one end to the other, mark the points (3" or 6" or 9" or...) that will become your stations.
Lay out two more lines along the edges, parallel to the center line.
Mark the stations along them.
Use a flexible gage to connect your dots, 90deg to the lines and mark these on your flat wood blanks. These will be your stations.
Now, do the same for your 3 "spines."
Cut wood into parts and sand for smooth/fair.
Assemble to see where assy notches should be.

Ending up sorta like this:
Attachment 43277
okay?
Not really. I am staring at the hole in the roof and trying to visualize a flexible gage showing me the crown. I can tell that that is more crown in the rear than the front. I am thinking that long center line and a crossways line would give me the crown at that point. What do you use for a flexible gage?
Old 09-14-2017, 05:44 PM

You can take something like a strip or strips of masonite or aluminum several inches wide and long enough so there is adequate overlap onto the surrounding roof. if you hold them down at each so they sit flat on the overlaps areas the strip should follow the contour, and you and establish the curvature or crown.

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 09-14-2017, 08:26 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Not really. I am staring at the hole in the roof and trying to visualize a flexible gage showing me the crown. I can tell that that is more crown in the rear than the front. I am thinking that long center line and a crossways line would give me the crown at that point. What do you use for a flexible gage?
Copying an existing crown from another car is common.

Developing a crown from nuttin' at all is a horse of a different color. For this you need to lay flexible strips of thin metal or wood across the opening in both directions to see what looks "fair."
When one can be clamped in "fair" then hold a piece of light poster board or box cardboard against it and take a line from that. Repeat until you have 3-4 lines either way. Make a wood eggcrate from that and make your panel fit that, then test for the look on the car. You might end up pretty close.

Or just cut out a sheet of metal, lay it up there, and then hammer around in the largish center of the sheet until you get your shape going, and adjust as you shape it, marking the low spots with a marker to target more hitting.

I've made missing skins for cars by kneeling on the concrete floor and hammering up the skins on the concrete - like some of the old car companies did many years ago.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:40 PM

Default Build a metal buck

Mav,
Kent went from the concept that you had an existing roof to copy from. You kinda added that you have a hole where the roof was.

Try some 1/4 in thin wall tubing. Cut and tack weld to underside of roof edge. Now, place a piece or two of vertical pieces of wood cut to a profile height that allows you to great the center countour you like. This is equivalent to what kent stated about the center spine with blue tape. This tube is your center line going length of car. Now, pick transverse points on say 6 inch spacing, these,will be your transverse sections, or what are called stations.

You will now have a grid of tubes from the edge to the center spine. It's kinda like creating a grid over a drawing, and you scale your sketch inside each small box created by grid.

You will now have a contour created that you use to shape your sheet metal to. Like making a patchwork quilt. The welds will be planished (smoothed by hammering) between the patches...

Use paper patterns from the grid work to generate the shape to cut you metal patches...

Hope that helps?