All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-14-2016, 03:12 PM

I tried to add this photo the other day, but had trouble. Looks like it works now. This shows my shop - red circle - in relation to the 5 O'Clock Club. Most of you will likely be driving north on 7th street. Turn right just before you get to the restaurant.

Aerial Photo of House (2).jpg
Old 09-21-2016, 03:29 PM

Two weeks to go - I'm excited. Things are pulling together in the shop and I should be ready for the event.

I've had a little shuffling of attendees, but we still have three spots open if anyone decides to attend at the last minute. We also have two spots still open in Patman's class.

I think I still have one bed available if anyone wants to attend two or more days and not pay for a hotel. Get in touch with me ASAP if you want it.

I'm still hoping for nice weather. The 10-day forecast suggests highs will be in the low 60s - good sweatshirt weather. Too early to tell about precipitation. I'm hoping for dry weather though. We'll have three people banging on fenders, I'd like to put them outside. (Along with anyone feeling the need to share their political opinions!) If it rains the fender bangers can come back in.

I'm not a school with many duplicate tools, so it wouldn't hurt for each of you to bring a few hand tools of your own. (Mark them so you can identify them!) You should also bring eye and ear protection, I've got a few, but not enough for everyone.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in two weeks!
Old 09-29-2016, 08:06 PM

Default End of September Update

OK, one week to go. I have a few supplies to get still, but most everything in the shop is in order. The shop has never been this clean before.

The weather should be mild. Thursday looks like a nice day, Friday and Saturday may give us a little rain. I bought a couple of pop-up canopies to keep those working outside dry.

I just wanted to remind people that if you bring your own tools, make sure you can identify them: We don't want your tools going home with someone else.

Ear and eye protection is a good idea, and a folding chair wouldn't hurt for taking a break. I'm pretty sure I won't have enough for everyone.

The hours are pretty much dictated by when people show up and leave. I'll try to have the shop open by 7:30 each morning.

If you have any last minute questions, post them here. Call me if you get lost trying to find the shop (715-418-9481)

I'll see everyone next week!
Old 10-04-2016, 12:37 PM

Default Attending

Just wanted to confirm we are attending Thursday-Saturday. We have 3.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:50 AM

John, looking forward to seeing you Thursday!
Old 10-09-2016, 09:31 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

I just got back from the Northwoods metalshaping event. Fantastic event with plenty of projects and skills demonstrated. Steve is wonderful host, delicious food, nicely equipped shop and friendly group participants. The fall colors is Wisconsin were awesome. I highly recommend this meet for anyone in the future.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Pictures? It didn't happen if there are no photos.....
Old 10-09-2016, 11:21 AM

Default GREAT time!

First of all, a BIG thanks to Steve and Sue for sponsoring such a great event. I know it took a lot to prepare not only for the event, but to also finish your shop to have this. You are excellent hosts.

Next, thanks to Patman for putting on an excellent class. Ive watched the videos and read the books, but your class tied everything together and even had plenty of other info I havent seen before. Ill be taking another class and would advise others to do the same.

Also thanks to all who had demonstrations, great information was taken from all them.

And Mike Motage, your presentation was ---WOW---- cant put it into words. Seeing the pictures on the forum is cool enough, but having you explain step by step what it took to get where you are is incredible. My hats off to you!

And breakfast was pretty darn good Dan.

Was an excellent meet, it felt as though I was with friends among strangers. If anyone has the chance to take this in, I'd highly recommend it.

See ya next year....

Ea. Angelo Metalworks
Old 10-09-2016, 01:37 PM

Default Patman's Class

First I wanted to thank Pat Brubaker (Patman) for holding this class. I was expecting a lot of review, but instead I learned a ton of new techniques. Here are some photos.

Brock and Dane are making a paper pattern of a spare tire cover while Pat tapes some paper overlaps.
IMG_0631.jpg

Dane and Pat are making a rigid pattern of the same tire cover. Brock and Shawn watch.
IMG_0634.jpg

Brock, Dane and Shawn are making a flexible shape pattern of the same cover so all three patterns can be compared.
IMG_0638.jpg

Shawn is cutting some steel, it is almost time to start hammering.
IMG_0643.jpg

Pat is marking the steel to tell it exactly where he wants the ruffle to form.
IMG_0648.jpg

One good hit over the depression on the stump and the ruffle forms, right on the Pat's marks. We were all amazed at the control Pat had with this technique.
IMG_0650.jpg

Pat compared Brock's part to the original tire cover. Looks like Brock still needs a little more shrinking.
IMG_0657.jpg

Pat is getting ready to compare everyone's parts. He pointed out the strengths, weaknesses and differences of each part, giving us all good feedback and direction.
IMG_0659.jpg

Pat is doing some quick shrinking on the stump.
IMG_0660.jpg

Dane and Shawn are wheeling their parts to smooth the hammer marks and raise the center a little more.
IMG_0670.jpg

I guess that is all the photos I can do in one post. I'll continue with another post shortly.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:07 PM

Default Patmans Class #2

Pat is curving a flange with a hammer. He then showed us how to straighten the flange with a hammer just as quickly.
IMG_0672.jpg

Pat is showing us how a $60 Harbor Freight arbor press can be used as a miniature Pullmax. We made small plastic dies using simple, common, tools.
IMG_0676.jpg

Brock and Pat are putting a bead in a section of the tire cover using the arbor press
IMG_0683.jpg

Dane checks his part against the rigid pattern.
IMG_0687.jpg

Shawn wheels his part.
IMG_0688.jpg

Brock wheels his part.
IMG_0692.jpg

Ditto: Dane
IMG_0693.jpg

Brock is marking a cut line on his part. He is preparing to weld it to the next section of the cover.
IMG_0690.jpg

Brock filing the weld.
IMG_0709.jpg

Pat cuts into a cover section to measure the metal thickness.
IMG_0702.jpg

Last edited by Steve_Greenway; 10-09-2016 at 05:15 PM.