All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-15-2019, 01:11 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Post Door frame transformation (cont.)

While waiting for new door glass to arrive, I decided to finish up on the driverís side door frame. The metal was trimmed so it would all fit inside the door. For the picture, I place a length of ĺĒ square tube where the top of the rocker panel will be. The door opens and closes over this just fine.

Itís starting to look more like a Miura door especially when compared to what it looked like when the transformation started. Here's the before picture.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:26 PM

Post Front Clip Substructure

I now have the station buck pieces that I was waiting on prior to building the front clip substructure. I needed the hood vent hammer forms to be completed so I could locate the vents that are on top of the front clip with precision and thus locate the substructure along the vent edges. Hereís the vent hammer forms fitted into the station buck.

To build the front clip substructure, Iím basing all fore and aft measurements off the front axle centerline. The station buck has a transverse station located on the front axle centerline so itís easy to take measurements from that point. All vertical measurements are based off the garage floor which has a slight tilt to it with the passenger side about ĹĒ lower than drivers side. The chassis is set to targeted ride height and dead horizontal using blocks and shims. So Iíve determined the height of various chassis members relative to the garage floor under the drivers side tire and all vertical measurements will be taken from these chassis members with some math addition involved.

As a reminder, I had prior built the hinges for the tilt up front clip.

The front clip substructure originates at the hinge and goes back to the windshield to support the front clip skin. Hereís what the steel substructure looks like on a factory Miura.

I am electing to build the substructure in aluminum on my car so I canít just copy the original. Instead of a pure sheet metal substructure as was done on the original, Iíll be using a combination of rectangular aluminum tubes and sheet. My objective is to locate the substructure just under the front clip skin and I could not accomplish this without having an accurate station buck. I take multiple measurements from the station buck to ensure each substructure member is positioned just under the intended skin height as it changes elevations.

I started by using a piece of wood to mockup the substructure member going in front of the hood vents. Itís height and location was set using blocks and clamps. From there, I connected the dots with a rectangular tube.

From there, a tube was added to extend this just beyond the front bulkhead. Again, I had to take many measurements to ensure this member would stay below the skin. It does except for the aft 6Ē which Iíll lower that section with a small pie cut and weld. It was then repeat for the drivers side.

Thatís it so far. More to come as I progress...
Old 10-26-2019, 10:31 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015

So often the case that one thing can't be completed before something else is finalised, which may be dependant on something else again!

Great work there.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:54 PM

The Build is looking great Joel. -Vinny
Old 10-28-2019, 09:52 AM

Absolutely fantastic!

This one was built on a Fiero, but with a Miura windshield. I don't know if anything in the build might be helpful to you, or even if you already knew about it, but just in case it might be helpful:

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000003.html

Subscribed!

"There's no such thing as a normal life, Wyatt. There's just life. And you get on with it."
Old 10-31-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
So often the case that one thing can't be completed before something else is finalised, which may be dependant on something else again!

Great work there.
Marcus: your insight is spot on! The dependency tree on this project is definitely multi-level
Old 10-31-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinVinny View Post
The Build is looking great Joel. -Vinny
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Absolutely fantastic!

This one was built on a Fiero, but with a Miura windshield. I don't know if anything in the build might be helpful to you, or even if you already knew about it, but just in case it might be helpful:

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000003.html

Subscribed!
Thanks Vinny and Bill!

I did read the build thread on the Fiero based Miura. It's what influenced me to use something other than a Fiero chassis for my project. They spent a lot of work to modify the Fiero chassis and then you still ended up with all the idiosyncrecies/limitations of the Fiero in the end.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:12 PM

Post Front Clip Substructure (cont.)

The build out on the front clip substructure continues. In books Iíve read about structural engineering, itís said that the strongest geometric shape is the triangle. So I always try to design in triangles where I can. This substructure is long and wide, will likely have a decent amount of down pressure on it at highway speeds and so I put a triangle across the longest part of it.

The hinges are working well so far and substructure lifts and lowers easily.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:25 PM

Post Front Clip Substructure (cont.)

More triangles added to the sub-structure.

My objective with this triangulation is to minimize the twist when the front clip is raised. The fuel fill will be under the front clip (i.e. not externally accessible), the front clip will be raised by a single person the majority of the time and thus a twisting motion will be placed on the front clip for every fuel fill. The front clip substructure is wide and fairly flat. So Iím trying to design the front clip substructure to be lifted with a minimum amount of twist being transmitted through to the skin.

Fabricating these triangulation members took quite a bit of time. Firstly because of the odd angles that were needed at each end and secondly because I had to make them twice. My first attempt was failed because the triangulation tubes came in contact with the upper chassis tubes prior to the front clip being completely raised. So I had many trips to the belt sander to fine tune the angled fit up by the time I had good pieces to weld in.

Thereís now a whole ľĒ of clearance as the front clip substructure is fully tilted up.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:30 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015

Those angles look trying for sure.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.