All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-04-2010, 07:30 PM

Default Adding GPS help

Hi. i have a 37 Ford. It is the original dash. I shaved the delete plate, and ashtray. i would like to install a GPS unit I have. Would it be better to cut the dash and install it from within, or build something to go onto the dash, and mold it in?? I am kind of thinking of mounting it on the front of the dash and building something from sheetmetal to go over the dash. I don't have much in the way of metal shaping tools, but I am slowly making a few. I do have a sheetmetal brake, and I use the clothes pole outside the house to make my bends. Other than that. Just basic tools. Any idea, or has anyone done this before?? Thanks.. Al
Old 02-04-2010, 08:27 PM

Default Install

I added XM Radio to my 67 Chevelle just a few years ago. Now, with XM and Sirius combining, my receiver is old and out of date. The reason I'm saying this, is you may not want to make a special mounting in the dash if it's something that will need to be replaced in only a few years.

On the other hand, mounting one of those that has the pop out screen - where it comes out of a standard radio hole, might be a consideration.

If you are stuck on it, a hole with some velcro on the back of the GPS, might be a good way to go.

John
Old 02-04-2010, 08:35 PM

Well I have the GPS for the dash, and I also have a 2 1/2" screen that is going into the hole that the speaker should be in the header panel. it is for the backup camera.. I added on a spot under the dash for the radio. I suppose I could make up some kind of a plate with a swing arm that could be pulled up from behind the dash where I could mount that suction cup for the GPS. then I could leave the dash clear.. The GPS doesn't have a touch screen. There is a toothpick thing that is in the top. You pull it out to tap the area you want.. I need the GPS, because I can get lost leaving the driveway.. Al
Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 AM

I hope you are aware a GPS with built in antenna will not work if you build it into the dash or a metal box.

It will be even more lost than you are!

With an external antenna it will be no problem.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:50 AM

Thanks.. I didn't know that. I guess I will have to figure out something else.. Al
Old 02-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Administrator

I would make a hammer form, to make the pocket.

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.